Stuck In Your Parents’ Basement? Don’t Blame The Economy

Started by garbon, May 28, 2016, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on June 03, 2016, 11:15:39 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2016, 11:07:31 AM
Huh. What was Miami like before the yankees moved in?

Dunno.  First time I got to visit Miami was like 2003.

Will Smith's song didn't grip you like it did the nation? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2016, 11:07:31 AM
Huh. What was Miami like before the yankees moved in?

It's an interesting question -- I think it was quite a sleepy town before the influx of Jews and Cubans, but even as late as the 70s, when Miami Beach was known for being full of decaying old residential hotels.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

I imagine it was a backwater until the invention of AC, much like the rest of the South.

DGuller

Anyway, my guess is that automated cars, when they finally come online, will really disrupt the real estate equation and reverse the increasing urbanization we're currently going through.  The drastically improved efficiency of automated traffic will open up quite a few areas that are currently impractical to commute from.  Maybe this will reverse the trend from the cost of real estate side rather than the income side.

Capetan Mihali

Hmm, hadn't thought of that.  Traffic in Seattle, for instance, is horrendous.  And I think that is part of what's driving the move on the part of Amazon, Expedia, etc. to relocate their corporate campuses in the city after being in the suburbs.  Though I think "lifestyle" reasons are a significantly greater factor, given that their employees could reverse-commute (a la Google employees living in S.F. and catching the Google shuttle out to Silicon Valley).
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

MadImmortalMan

Those factor expand the sprawl too. Which most people say is a negative thing. I'm not sure the death of the regional small city is necessarily good.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Capetan Mihali

What regional small city do you have in mind?  Seattle, S.F., and NYC certainly aren't such.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

Yeah but there's a big wall of mountains keeping it from being swallowed up like San Jose or Bellevue.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Ah, you like to see some wilderness between cities.

grumbler

New York:  nobody lives there any more, it's too crowded.

(apologies to Yogi Berra)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on June 03, 2016, 10:16:03 AM
Speaking for Middle America, my preference is for big city types to remain crammed in their cities and not move here.  I mean, just look what they did to Florida :bleeding:

Sorry   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock