Musk: SpaceX will put a man on Mars in 2025!

Started by jimmy olsen, June 02, 2016, 08:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2016, 06:53:54 PM
Ah, I skimmed it. Thought he was talking about the problem of bringing enough fuel to get off Mars once you land there.

You could simply build a ship in orbit. Make multiple launches. The individual parts of the ship, the fuel stocks and the supplies can be made much larger that way.

Way to sidestep the problem of generating enough thrust and acceleration for escape velocity in virtually nil atmosphere.  Conventional rocketry relies on the Earth's atmosphere to break free of it; that's a totally different problem with the Martian atmosphere.
Experience bij!

sbr

They have no plans to return anyone from Mars.  It is very clearly being advertised as a one way trip.

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 06, 2016, 09:41:06 PM
Way to sidestep the problem of generating enough thrust and acceleration for escape velocity in virtually nil atmosphere.  Conventional rocketry relies on the Earth's atmosphere to break free of it; that's a totally different problem with the Martian atmosphere.

Wait... what?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 06, 2016, 09:41:06 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2016, 06:53:54 PM
Ah, I skimmed it. Thought he was talking about the problem of bringing enough fuel to get off Mars once you land there.

You could simply build a ship in orbit. Make multiple launches. The individual parts of the ship, the fuel stocks and the supplies can be made much larger that way.

Is this a joking reference to NY Times editorial that ripped Goddard and said rockets would never work in space, and that the Times officially retracted after Apollo 11 landed on the Moon?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point