Just realized they're installing fibre-optic in my neighborhood...

Started by Barrister, May 27, 2016, 10:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So it's not here yet, but I was just curious if anyone out there has fibre, and how does it compare to other kinds of internet (in my case cable internet)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

I've got 100mbps up and down fibre. It's 1/3rd the price and I've only experienced it being down or slow 1 time in the last 5 years (and that was fixed within an hour).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

It's much fast, BB but in Canada it will be too expensive with a small data cap. Forget about it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2016, 11:55:50 AM
I had it and now do not :(

Is it much difference?

I think I have 25-30 Mbps speed now and that seems completely sufficient.  Does it make any difference moving up to fibre (which apparently promises "up to 150 Mbps")?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2016, 12:23:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 27, 2016, 11:55:50 AM
I had it and now do not :(

Is it much difference?

I think I have 25-30 Mbps speed now and that seems completely sufficient.  Does it make any difference moving up to fibre (which apparently promises "up to 150 Mbps")?

Perhaps not, but I went from 2 mbps to 100 so it was significant for me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2016, 10:47:18 AM
So it's not here yet, but I was just curious if anyone out there has fibre, and how does it compare to other kinds of internet (in my case cable internet)?

I got it about 5-6 years ago.  There was a lot of struggling with the telecoms about installation.  One company said there were insurmountable technical problems with my place after multiple on-site inspections.  The other did it within a week. 

It is a lot faster.  I think I have like 200-300m up and down.

Duque de Bragança

What do you get? Fiber to the Home or Fiber to the building? The former is a no-brainer and the latter is often an improved interim step, but not dramatic compared to good cable.

Monoriu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 28, 2016, 04:38:30 AM
What do you get? Fiber to the Home or Fiber to the building? The former is a no-brainer and the latter is often an improved interim step, but not dramatic compared to good cable.

Fiber to my desktop.

Josquius

I'm sure I used to have it and now have cable, never really notice the difference. This is faster if anything
██████
██████
██████