Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 19, 2022, 07:38:39 PMWell preserved Byzantine mosaic found in Gaza by Palestinian farmers
Link

Wow that is beautiful, looks like it was made yesterday.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

In Nineveh? Didn't Xenophon indicate it was just a ruin by his time? (much less the Hellenistic period)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2022, 11:30:12 AMIn Nineveh? Didn't Xenophon indicate it was just a ruin by his time? (much less the Hellenistic period)
I'm going by memory, having read this elsewhere a little while ago, but basically, threy didn't only misplace it geographically, but in time too, but a few hundred years.

From Wikipedia:

QuoteThe Hanging Gardens are the only one of the Seven Wonders for which the location has not been definitively established.[6] There are no extant Babylonian texts that mention the gardens, and no definitive archaeological evidence has been found in Babylon.[7][8] Three theories have been suggested to account for this: firstly, that they were purely mythical, and the descriptions found in ancient Greek and Roman writings (including those of Strabo, Diodorus Siculus and Quintus Curtius Rufus) represented a romantic ideal of an eastern garden;[9] secondly, that they existed in Babylon, but were destroyed sometime around the first century AD;[10][4] and thirdly, that the legend refers to a well-documented garden that the Assyrian King Sennacherib (704–681 BC) built in his capital city of Nineveh on the River Tigris, near the modern city of Mosul.[11][1]
Built around 704-681BC instead of 605-562.  So, 150 years earlier than what was previously assumed by historical texts.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2022, 11:30:12 AMIn Nineveh? Didn't Xenophon indicate it was just a ruin by his time? (much less the Hellenistic period)

The article says that the Greeks mixing the two cities up was not unprecedented.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point