Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: dps on March 28, 2019, 11:59:16 PM
God lord, the grammar in parts of that article is terrible.
Well, I picked the first English article that popped up in Google without reading it (I read the French one)...  :Embarrass:
Here is a better written one:
Forbes
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 01, 2019, 07:03:30 PM
Bayeau tapestry could be the best hoax in history

https://www.historyhit.com/is-the-bayeux-tapestry-a-fake/
Since it's April 2nd, I totally forgot about the date, until I reached the end of the article when they said they would cut it in small pieces :D

Had I read the subtext below William's portrait, that would have been a serious clue though :D

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2019, 01:09:58 PM

Since it's April 2nd, I totally forgot about the date, until I reached the end of the article when they said they would cut it in small pieces :D

Had I read the subtext below William's portrait, that would have been a serious clue though :D

I was hoping they found someone had stitched "Kilroy was here" on the back.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2019, 01:12:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2019, 01:09:58 PM

I was hoping they found someone had stitched "Kilroy was here" on the back.  :D

:D

One article says: As to the derivation of the name "Kilroy," that's a matter of some dispute. Some historians point to James J. Kilroy, an inspector at the Fore River Shipyard in Braintree, MA, who supposedly wrote "Kilroy was here" on various parts of ships as they were being built (after the ships were completed,...

Though that shipyard was in Quincy MA, not Braintree. It's closed now, shut down in the 1980s.

viper37

I have to do Tim's job once again.  I'm disapointed in you!  :)

Previously unknown human species found in Asia raises questions about early hominin dispersals from Africa

Excavations in southeast Asia have unearthed a previously unreported hominin species named Homo luzonensis. The discovery has implications for ideas about early hominin evolution and dispersal from Africa.

Homo sapiens is the only living species of a diverse group called hominins (members of the human family tree who are more closely related to each other than they are to chimpanzees and bonobos). Most extinct hominin species are not our direct ancestors, but instead are close relatives with evolutionary histories that took a slightly different path from ours. Writing in Nature, Détroit et al.1 report the remarkable discovery of one such human relative that will no doubt ignite plenty of scientific debate over the coming weeks, months and years. This newly identified species was found in the Philippines and named Homo luzonensis after Luzon, the island where bones and teeth from individuals of this species were excavated from Callao Cave. Specimens of H. luzonensis were dated to minimum ages of 50,000 and 67,000 years old, which suggests that the species was alive at the same time as several other hominins belonging to the genus Homo, including Homo sapiens, Neanderthals, Denisovans and Homo floresiensis.

[...]

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

I think this definitely points to an early dispersal of homo from Africa. Likely H. habilis prior to 2 million years ago.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2019, 09:02:21 AM
I think this definitely points to an early dispersal of homo from Africa.

They eat the poo poo worldwide now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

viper37

Stonehenge built by Turks

It was a grand turkish invasion and replacement as the original hunter-gatherers disapeared from Britain, except Western Scotland.

But do not worry.  Mordern British aren't descended from Turks.   There was another immigrant invasion from Western Europe a few thousands years later. :P

QuoteThe ancestors of the people who built Stonehenge travelled west across the Mediterranean before reaching Britain, a study has shown.

Researchers compared DNA extracted from Neolithic human remains found across Britain with that of people alive at the same time in Europe.

The Neolithic inhabitants were descended from populations originating in Anatolia (modern Turkey) that moved to Iberia before heading north.

They reached Britain in about 4,000BC.