Archaeologists do it in holes: Tales from the stratigraphy

Started by Maladict, May 27, 2016, 02:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: KRonn on February 25, 2018, 09:24:32 AM
QuoteNow, archaeologists may have to accept that Neandertals were the original cave artists. A team of dating experts and archaeologists reports that simple creations—the outline of a hand, an array of lines, and a painted cave formation—from three caves in Spain all date to more than 64,800 years ago, at least 20,000 years before modern humans reached Europe. Shells from a fourth Spanish cave, pigment-stained and pierced as if for use as body ornaments, are even older, a team including several of the same researchers reports in a second paper, in Science Advances. Some researchers had already attributed the shells to Neandertals, but the new dates leave little doubt.

Interesting find. What really intrigues me is why and how the Neanderthals went extinct.
Due to the glacial conditions of west eurasia, the Neanderthals simply could not maintain a population as near as large as the H. sapiens could in Africa. A large enough migration could simply roll over them, even if they were cognitively their equal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

I figured they went extinct through vigorous inter-breeding.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2018, 11:47:23 PM

Huge migration doesn't have to be hostile. Even interbreeding with them will wipe them out if they're outnumbered enough.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

You don't risk dying from breeding unless you're a woman or a Qing emperor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on February 26, 2018, 04:21:13 AM
You don't risk dying from breeding unless you're a woman or a Qing emperor.

Or a Swedish goat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 26, 2018, 04:00:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 25, 2018, 11:47:23 PM

Huge migration doesn't have to be hostile. Even interbreeding with them will wipe them out if they're outnumbered enough.

Yes. I am not sure how else vigorous interbreeding might wipe out a population.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Sapiens were really good at killing mega fauna. Do nederthals (and apes in general count as mega fauna? We're bigger than most of our primate cousins)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on February 26, 2018, 09:10:30 AM
Sapiens were really good at killing mega fauna. Do nederthals (and apes in general count as mega fauna? We're bigger than most of our primate cousins)

The traditional use of the term megafauna uses, I believe, the one ton threshold.  So, katmai yes, humans and apes, no.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 25, 2018, 05:25:17 PM
QuoteNow, archaeologists may have to accept that Neandertals were the original cave artists. A team of dating experts and archaeologists reports that simple creations—the outline of a hand, an array of lines, and a painted cave formation—from three caves in Spain all date to more than 64,800 years ago, at least 20,000 years before modern humans reached Europe. Shells from a fourth Spanish cave, pigment-stained and pierced as if for use as body ornaments, are even older, a team including several of the same researchers reports in a second paper, in Science Advances. Some researchers had already attributed the shells to Neandertals, but the new dates leave little doubt.

Interesting find. What really intrigues me is why and how the Neanderthals went extinct.
Due to the glacial conditions of west eurasia, the Neanderthals simply could not maintain a population as near as large as the H. sapiens could in Africa. A large enough migration could simply roll over them, even if they were cognitively their equal.
Yes, that sounds quite plausible. And as discussed later about interbreeding, I assume if there were a lot more H. Sapiens then the that causes the Nanderthals even more stress to their dwindling pop. I've read, probably in these threads, that there is some Neanderthal DNA in modern humans, a very small amount.

Razgovory

Why would a large population migrate to an area that could not support them?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

How much interbreeding is needed to get 2% Neanderthal dna in western Europeans? I mean could it have just been a bunch of ice age brains out there?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on February 26, 2018, 11:09:21 AM
How much interbreeding is needed to get 2% Neanderthal dna in western Europeans? I mean could it have just been a bunch of ice age brains out there?

I think it means there was a significant amount of inbreeding going on given the fact that all non-African human populations have about that amount.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on February 26, 2018, 10:58:53 AM

Why would a large population migrate to an area that could not support them?

Good point. Could be that as the glaciers receded the H. Sapiens moved in and the Neanderthals had already been decimated by the previous harsher conditions, and/or the H. Sapiens had become better able to adapt to more harsh conditions.

grumbler

Quote from: KRonn on February 26, 2018, 11:42:36 AM
Good point. Could be that as the glaciers receded the H. Sapiens moved in and the Neanderthals had already been decimated by the previous harsher conditions, and/or the H. Sapiens had become better able to adapt to more harsh conditions.

The are lots of theories about why HS Sapiens supplanted HS Neanderthalsis about 20,000 years ago.  That was just before the glacial maximum of the last Ice Age in Europe.  The one I like best, I think, is that HSS fingers were nimble enough to sew and HSN were not.

Bayraktar!