Neanderthal Thread: Cave fires & rhino skull used in Neanderthal burial rituals

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2016, 11:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 10, 2016, 05:45:58 PM
Never happened then. A pigment of your imagination.

I did complain that the author of an English-language wiki article used the (Spanish or French, can't remember which) word "petaches" (or some word very close to that) when the term in English is "dispatch boats," but the long debate was about whether or not the Armada could have accomplished its mission in 1588.  Malthus, I believe, was the one arguing that it could not, and I argued that it could.

Sad to see HVC admitting that he is too old to remember that debate, but I guess time will catch up with all of us some day.  His admission actually clears up a number of questions that I had.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on October 10, 2016, 06:11:56 PM
But you'll at least admit I'm Canadian right? :D

I'll "admit" that you are whatever you say you are.  Even if you say you are handsome.  :D

It's the internet.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on October 10, 2016, 05:19:05 PM
Quote from: dps on October 10, 2016, 04:27:07 PM
I agree, but not everyone classifies them that way.  I've seen them classified as H. neanderthalis.  I've also seen them classified as H. sapiens, but a different sub-species, H. sapiens neanderthalis (with modern humans being H. sapiens sapiens).

Insofar as I know, H. sapiens neanderthalis is the current biological designation, and has been for a couple of decades.  Thus, they are homo sapiens, just a different subspecies than h.s.s.

This ebbed and flowed rather strongly over the last few decades as the lumpers and splitters warred, and was trending strongly in favor of seperate species until the release of the DNA evidence which was a K.O. victory for the lumpers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive