News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Minority Report a Reality!!!!!!!!!

Started by 11B4V, May 23, 2016, 07:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

:o

Eddie Johnson, the Chicago Police Department superintendent. "We know we have a lot of violence in Chicago, but we also know there's a small segment that's driving this stuff," he said in a recent interview.

CHICAGO — In this city's urgent push to rein in gun and gang violence, the Police Department is keeping a list. Derived from a computer algorithm that assigns scores based on arrests, shootings, affiliations with gang members and other variables, the list aims to predict who is most likely to be shot soon or to shoot someone. Shaquon Thomas was on it.

His first arrest came at age 13, and others quickly followed, his face maturing in a progression of mug shots. By 18, Mr. Thomas, who was known as the rapper Young Pappy, was wounded in a shooting, the police say. Then last May, Mr. Thomas, 19, was fatally shot in what the police say was a running gang feud. His score was more than 500, putting him near the top of the Chicago Police Department's list.

"We know we have a lot of violence in Chicago, but we also know there's a small segment that's driving this stuff," Eddie Johnson, the police superintendent, said in a recent interview.

The authorities hope that knowing who is most likely to be involved in violence can bring them a step closer to curtailing it. They are warning those highest on the list that they are under intense scrutiny, while offering social services to those who want a path away from the bloodshed.

About three years into the program and on a fourth revision of the computer algorithm that generates the list, critics are raising pointed questions about potential breaches to civil liberties in the creation of such a ranking. And the list's efficacy remains in doubt as killings and shootings have continued to rise this year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/chicago-police-try-to-predict-who-may-shoot-or-be-shot/ar-BBtmmaY?ocid=ansmsnnews11
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Eddie Johnson's statement was so important we had to put it in twice.  Once before the byline.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2016, 09:09:39 PM
Eddie Johnson's statement was so important we had to put it in twice.  Once before the byline.

I believe he is stereotyping.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

One of these days you and Seedy need to do a cop-off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2016, 09:22:27 PM

Has nothing to do with the above. To me, the system has a potential for incredible abuse, cloaked behind, "Well the algorithm says so."

and policy creep

CountDeMoney

That's all it is: profiling with a spreadsheet.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2016, 09:28:33 PM

Has nothing to do with the above. To me, the system has a potential for incredible abuse, cloaked behind, "Well the algorithm says so."

and policy creep

It wasn't suppose to do with anything above.  It was just an idea I found amusing.  I don't know much about being a cop.  I quickly discovered it was not the place for me.

Martinus

That's like complaining about the government building anti-flood infrastructure only near rivers, as opposed to everywhere.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2016, 11:13:31 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 23, 2016, 09:28:33 PM

and policy creep

It wasn't suppose to do with anything above.  It was just an idea I found amusing.  I don't know much about being a cop.  I quickly discovered it was not the place for me.

Ah, no offense intended.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2016, 11:46:05 PM
That's like complaining about the government building anti-flood infrastructure only near rivers, as opposed to everywhere.

Don't follow

Admiral Yi

You put resources where they do the most good.

DGuller

Cool, I bet it's a pretty interesting challenge to build these algorithms.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2016, 12:10:19 AM
You put resources where they do the most good.

Is this a principle you believe, in regards to law enforcement?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 24, 2016, 01:23:11 AM

Can you just do the gotcha part without the question?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2016, 01:33:11 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 24, 2016, 01:23:11 AM

Can you just do the gotcha part without the question?
:D