Cry havoc and let slip the Legos of war

Started by CountDeMoney, May 23, 2016, 06:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2016, 11:15:49 AM
I'm not vigorously anti-violence, but it is important to teach kids how to solve problems without violence.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Except violence (albeit state-sanctioned) is at the heart of what I do. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2016, 09:37:06 AM
Not sure whether I agree or disagree with the article.

The lego kits of my youth weren't necessarily peaceful - I remember having a castle set and a spaceship set, and both implied violence.  Whereas some of my kids sets definitely have violence (Star Wars, or pirates), not all of them do - he got a rescue evac plane for his birthday.

But what did strike me is that these modern sets actually shoot!  The little stormtroopers have guns that shoot lego bricks, and the pirates have a cannon that similarly shoots.  That's definitely new.

Pirate cannons that shoot been around since 1989; except, for some reason, in the USA.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

Quote from: Agelastus on May 24, 2016, 12:18:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2016, 09:37:06 AM
Not sure whether I agree or disagree with the article.

The lego kits of my youth weren't necessarily peaceful - I remember having a castle set and a spaceship set, and both implied violence.  Whereas some of my kids sets definitely have violence (Star Wars, or pirates), not all of them do - he got a rescue evac plane for his birthday.

But what did strike me is that these modern sets actually shoot!  The little stormtroopers have guns that shoot lego bricks, and the pirates have a cannon that similarly shoots.  That's definitely new.

Pirate cannons that shoot been around since 1989; except, for some reason, in the USA.

I was last playing with lego pre-1989. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Archy

To brick or not to brick that's the question!
A Legoland for a horse.

Willego Brickspeare

Tonitrus

I'm sure Ed is holding out for the "Sulla's March on Rome" box set.

Brazen

There's a Facebook page dedicated to Lego Ada Lovelace to support a Lego Ideas project to build a Raspberry Pi powered Analytical Engine.
https://www.facebook.com/LegoLovelace/?fref=ts

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2016, 11:46:55 AM
Except violence (albeit state-sanctioned) is at the heart of what I do. -_-

Well if you take it that way then you can claim all legos portray the violence inherent in the system :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 25, 2016, 02:36:07 AM
I'm sure Ed is holding out for the "Sulla's March on Rome" box set.

And the Cinna killed by his own troops set.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Oh yeah, Legos can incite violence. Step on some while barefoot, you'll see what I mean.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Archy

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on May 25, 2016, 08:28:46 AM
There's a Facebook page dedicated to Lego Ada Lovelace to support a Lego Ideas project to build a Raspberry Pi powered Analytical Engine.
https://www.facebook.com/LegoLovelace/?fref=ts

I assume you've seen the Lovelace and Babbage graphic novel - if not, check it out.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

I am sick and tired of people blaming TV, anime, Legos, computer games, books, movies, the internet and whatnot for violent behaviour. 

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson