News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Tesla model 3 was the 7th most sold car in the US last month. It will be between the 5th and 6th most sold car this month.

7th most sales in July

5th-6th most sales in August

Tesla total August sales may be higher than BMW's total August sales
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Yeah things are changing very rapidly. And all in the right direction. I am very optimistic, ten years ago I never would have thought things would be moving in this direction at this rate. By mid-century we will barely recognize the energy sector.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Will nuclear fusion still just be a few years away by mid-century?  :P

Eddie Teach

Isn't it cheating a bit to include natural gas gains in this thread?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 21, 2018, 06:48:59 AM

If you are going to have a system with huge power plants, combined cycle natural gas is both efficient and low emission. It is so great it DOES sort of feel like cheating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 21, 2018, 12:49:14 AM
Will nuclear fusion still just be a few years away by mid-century?  :P

:lol:

Always :yes:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2018, 10:20:32 AM

If you are going to have a system with huge power plants, combined cycle natural gas is both efficient and low emission. It is so great it DOES sort of feel like cheating.

Yeah but the main reason for ditching coal is it will eventually run out.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 21, 2018, 08:02:06 PM

Not at all. The main reason why coal is being ditched is because it's being replaced by cleaner, cheaper and more efficient alternatives.

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 21, 2018, 08:02:06 PM

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

You know what I am really tired of? Commentators thinking they are dropping some sort of bomb shell by pointing out that Wind and Solar do not produce at full capacity all the time. Um...yes everybody is aware of that. That is how those resources work. But we can predict how much we can expect them to produce during a certain period. And the idea is that eventually energy storage will play a role in using the energy they do produce in periods it is most needed.

Next you will shock everybody by pointing out that bridges do not bear their capacity all the time, so why are we paying for all that steel?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2018, 11:30:29 AM
You know what I am really tired of? Commentators thinking they are dropping some sort of bomb shell by pointing out that Wind and Solar do not produce at full capacity all the time. Um...yes everybody is aware of that. That is how those resources work. But we can predict how much we can expect them to produce during a certain period. And the idea is that eventually energy storage will play a role in using the energy they do produce in periods it is most needed.

Next you will shock everybody by pointing out that bridges do not bear their capacity all the time, so why are we paying for all that steel?

There are already ways of dealing with this. Not perfect, but allegedly around 70-80% efficient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumped-storage_hydroelectricity
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Yep, it just means we need to get better at batteries/storage, and set up that infrastructure as well (which we hadn't really needed as much as before).  But people in the know already know that.

The Brain

Most bridges bear their capacity whenever we need them to. Day, night, rain, shine...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Eh, just put a giant fan in front of the windmill.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 22, 2018, 04:12:36 PM
Most bridges bear their capacity whenever we need them to. Day, night, rain, shine...

And wind farms and solar farms are expected to produce what they are capable of and expected to deliver. Nobody is installing them expecting them to produce their maximum capacity all the time, that is not how they work.