News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Eurovision 2016 - post mortem

Started by Martinus, May 16, 2016, 05:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Apparently we didn't have a live Eurovision / Eurovision predictions thread this year so did you watch it, did you vote and which songs did you like?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

I watched it with some friends at a house party. The 2 voting rounds were a disgrace, it looked as they were doing the math to see how many points they had to award to the countries they wanted to be on top. None of the songs were particulary memorable, I'd say it was a rather weak year.

Brazen

I live WhatsApped Eurovision with some work colleagues:

Welcome, willkomen and bienvenue to BEEFAX, the Brazen Eurovision Expert Facts network, hosted tonight from Bounds Green.

Who else sung Another One Bites The Dust to Belgium's entry?

Czech Republic - I'd actually cross the room to turn this off if it came on.

Netherlands is a bit Travelling Willburys.

Shrill Azerbaijan would need a Miracle to win.

Hungary - walking on lava. Pitchy and earnest.

Italy - was that an eco message? Up the bees!

Israel - that's a serious power fringe. "Like the lovechild of Marc Almond and Robert Smith."

Bulgaria - If Love WAS A crime? I think you mean WERE!

Sweden - If I WERE A Star. See Bulgaria?

Germany - Hello Kitty has been sick on her head.

France - controversially breaking into English. Actually rather good.

Poland - looks like Frank Zappa. Kindly allowed us to tick off "key change".

Australia - like stalking your exes in Minority Report.

Cyprus - Imhopet meets Right Said Fred.

Serbia - is this about groping dance fighting?

Lithuania - "Whose hairstyle does his remind me of?" "Martin Gore, early Depeche Mode."

Croatia - monks stole my frock

Wonky shirt hemlines are in this year.

Russia - "I can forgive them their views on homosexuality for that outstanding staging"

Spain - applejacked herself to the floor.

Latvia - ticks all the Euro boxes

Ukraine - a bit too earnest

Malta - dancer overcompensates for pregnant lady not being able to move much.

Georgia - more metal than Cyprus

Austria - everyone who was a bridesmaid in the 80s wore that peach dress.

UK - good job boys. Actually the best song so far. I'd vote for you if I could.

Armenia - dressed like Nicole Sherzinger going to a superhero party.

We make the top three UK, Spain and France by our in-house democratic voting system.

OK the Swedish presenters' portmanteau winning Euro hit skit wins the world.

What's a word like Brexit for Australia joining the EU? Ozjoin?

Voting an absolute farce.

And after a last-minute upset under the incomprehensible voting system we're all off to Kiev next year!

Brazen

Solmyr

Russian media (traditional and social) is raging because Ukraine won with a song about Crimea. :P

Martinus

Brazen

Quote from: Solmyr on May 16, 2016, 07:20:43 AM
Russian media (traditional and social) is raging because Ukraine won with a song about Crimea. :P
I never heard France complaining about Waterloo!

alfred russel

Having spent 15 or so years on the trifora, eurovision is basically an annual thread topic. I know I've posted this before, but unlike normal calendar events--its May so memorial day is coming, eventually december with christmas, february with valentine's day, and spring with easter, etc. I have no idea eurovision is coming. One day I open my browser, and BAM! there is a eurovision thread. But it seemed like just yesterday there was one! That is one less year left in my life--they are flying by faster and faster. Eurovision threads are a great reminder of mortality.

But this year there was no eurovision thread. I found out about eurovision on cnn or something. This year eurovision is not just a reminder of my mortality, but languish's. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on May 16, 2016, 08:54:22 AM
Having spent 15 or so years on the trifora, eurovision is basically an annual thread topic. I know I've posted this before, but unlike normal calendar events--its May so memorial day is coming, eventually december with christmas, february with valentine's day, and spring with easter, etc. I have no idea eurovision is coming. One day I open my browser, and BAM! there is a eurovision thread. But it seemed like just yesterday there was one! That is one less year left in my life--they are flying by faster and faster. Eurovision threads are a great reminder of mortality.

But this year there was no eurovision thread. I found out about eurovision on cnn or something. This year eurovision is not just a reminder of my mortality, but languish's. :)

It's mainly because I spent the last week being banned and unbanned - otherwise I would have started the thread around the first semifinals (which happened on last Tuesday).

Incidentally, I am not sure if the date of Eurovision is actually somehow pre-ordained but it is always a Saturday, usually around middle of May.

Martinus

Personally, I voted for Hungary (hottest guy), Russia (hot guy plus great staging), Ukraine (loved the staging) and Austria (liked that she performed it in French).

celedhring

It's been a weak year. The Spanish OT thread has been pretty dismal compared to previous years, too. It's lacked truly outrageous entrants to spice it up.

Eddie Teach

Except there is a thread (this one) and it still served to remind me of Eurovision's existence.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?