Previous topic - Next topic

Making election days a holiday

YES
no
Marty should be banned on odd numbered days
Can I be Ottoman Empire
Battleships suck

11B4V

Yes please, I'll take another paid holiday.

Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama is showing support for making election days a holiday in an effort to increase turnout.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/13/politics/obama-national-voting-day/index.html?sr=fbCNN051416obama-national-voting-day1207AMVODtopLink&linkId=24500813
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadBurgerMaker

That'd be cool with me.  E: I wonder if the place I work would "make up for it" by taking away a day off somewhere else.  :rolleyes:  I don't know exactly how they do it.  Val works for UT too, I think.  Maybe he'd know.

derspiess

No.  Every decent employer gives you time to vote. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sophie Scholl

I don't think it will legitimately help those who have issues with voting now.  The lower income individuals who this is meant to aid will most likely still have to work.  Most of these "holidays" don't trickle down to low income workers in any legitimate pay differential on the day, let alone actually being a day off.  It's an empty gesture that makes people feel better.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

PDH

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 13, 2016, 09:29:07 PM
I don't think it will legitimately help those who have issues with voting now.  The lower income individuals who this is meant to aid will most likely still have to work.  Most of these "holidays" don't trickle down to low income workers in any legitimate pay differential on the day, let alone actually being a day off.  It's an empty gesture that makes people feel better.

Poors  :rolleyes:

Like they ever matter.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

The Brain

Normal countries vote on Sundays.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

No.  Early voting makes it meaningless.

Monoriu

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Because Sundays you need to chill after a hectic American work week.

Monoriu

Hong Kong always hold elections on Sundays.  We don't accept mail votes or online voting though. 

I voted yes, in the sense that I think you should hold elections on Sundays. 

Maladict

Voting doesn't have to take up more than 5 minutes of your time. Just organize it properly.

Josquius

Won't that reduce turnout ?
The days around national holidays are when people tend to take their days off from work and travel.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

It's too bad we weren't allowed to pick 4 choices.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?