News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: PDH on May 29, 2016, 03:36:54 PM
Civ IV returned the game to very interesting fun - Civ III was too flawed.  Civ II was Civ I on steroids, fulfilling all the promises people wanted after playing the original for 10,000 hours and ruining their lives.  Civ II remains the best for many because of this - it took the game that was inspired by ASCII Empire and made it complete.

However, I find that with all the expansions, Civ V has been the most fun for me since Civ I (nothing can compare to discovering that and almost ruining my graduate school).  I was far more lukewarm to it before the add-ons, but once those came about the game felt more alive than any other since making my Mongol Chariot Army and conquering the world in Civ I.

Yeah, pretty much agree with every word.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on May 29, 2016, 04:43:49 PM
3 is the weakest of the bunch.  Actually 1 is weak too but back then there wasn't much to compare with it.  It only felt weak in retrospect.  When I played it, it was the best game ever.  2 is 1 with much better graphics and more of everything.  No significant change to the rules though.  Don't fix it if it ain't broken. 

Yup, I think a lot of people suffer from my childhood/teenage years = best time ever fallacy. I too have spent the most time on Civ and Civ 2, of all Civ games - but mainly because I was a compulsive-obsessive teenager with too much time on my hands, so I could play whole days back to back (I remember I spent an inordinate amount of time creating Polish history scenarios for Civ 2). There is no contest that if a game like Civ or Civ 2 appeared on the market today (even with improved graphics) noone would even notice it (except maybe as a dumb game for a smart phone).

Jaron

It was annoying to deal with doom stacks. maybe a limited stack would be okay. Its just a chore to wipe out a doomstack of 20 that ceases to be fun after awhile.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

I really like what I am hearing about AI leaders and I hope they deliver.

Basically each leader will have two agendas - one known and constant and one random (for example Teddy's known/constant agenda is that he will hate people who start unjust wars on his continent and Cleopatra will love people with big armies and hate people with small armies). The other secret/random agenda will be assigned randomly and may be something like "wants to build all wonders and will hate anyone who beats him to wonders". Now, the coolest part is how you discover the secret agenda - not just through observation but also through diplomacy, espionage and resulting "gossip". For example in early game if you have a trade route with some civ, you will slowly begin to accumulate intel about them, including their leader's agenda.

The Brain

I can't imagine what your agenda will be. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2016, 10:33:50 AM
I can't imagine what your agenda will be. :rolleyes:

Depends on which book he's reading/which podcast he is listening to when the game comes out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINr4EqAkSc

Catherine de Medici as the French leader. I'm betting Ed Beach had a hand in that. Languish should like it. :frog:

PJL

WTF at the French leader. I actually had to look her up. They have several great leaders, like Louis XIV, Napoleons I & III, De Gaulle etc. Heck I would even have accepted Joan of Arc. But Catherine de Medici is too obscure for a game like Civ.

garbon

You had to look up Catherine de Medici? :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: PJL on July 26, 2016, 05:27:03 PM
WTF at the French leader. I actually had to look her up. They have several great leaders, like Louis XIV, Napoleons I & III, De Gaulle etc. Heck I would even have accepted Joan of Arc. But Catherine de Medici is too obscure for a game like Civ.

Who the fuck are you?

jimmy olsen

Catherine de Medici is not obscure, but she was Italian and does not really come to mind when you think of Great French rulers, despite her reign as Queen of France.

If you want to use a great Italian French ruler, go for Napoleon  who is much more synonomous with French power.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I think they wanted to do something different from what they have done in past iterations.

Solmyr

She also has a Cersei vibe, both in general and in that video. :contract:

Lettow77

They should've put Good King Henry IV onto the throne, or Richelieu if they wanted to pursue the whole espionage thing. I'd liked all of the national leader choices up till now, but she is pretty displeasing. As I enjoy France a lot, I put more weight on France having a poor ruler than I would for other civs, so it is quite unfortunate.

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'