News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Do you frequent the Q3 forums DG? Thats the one place where all the cool kids talk smack on Civ6 for being an abstract optimising game, then praise Old World for doing the same just in a worse format.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on May 15, 2021, 10:52:23 AM
Do you frequent the Q3 forums DG? Thats the one place where all the cool kids talk smack on Civ6 for being an abstract optimising game, then praise Old World for doing the same just in a worse format.
I don't know what the Q3 forum is, so I assume the answer is no.  All of my Civ 6 smack is my own, the similarity to anyone else's smack is an accidental convergence.  All of it is a result of me trying to answer the question:  "why did these last two hours feel like a chore, a Civ game shouldn't feel like a chore".

Eddie Teach

There was always a point where you'd blobbed too much and it felt like a chore to finish. I almost always choose to start a new game. This was quite a bit worse in earlier versions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I keep meaning to finish my game. I got fairly near the end before the boredom of inevitability really got too much.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2021, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 14, 2021, 08:00:17 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 14, 2021, 07:04:13 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2021, 11:00:38 PM
Seeing this thread, I decided to reinstall the game from Steam, and give it another go.  I lasted 40 minutes before I got bored.  "Please, no more turns..."
I've found I restarted often. Resource limitations make sense for game mechanics, but if I have no domestic iron or horses I may as well stop playing. Same later on when I have 3 oil and 12 coal.  I'll get steam rollered.

You could go for a non-domination victory I suppose. I don't know. I'm pretty new to CIV VI. Last I played was CIV III.

Really?

I'd give Civ IV a go in preference to VI.
Civ IV has the Fall from Heaven 2 mod. So yes.
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2021, 11:57:24 AM
So I'm pretty new to Civ VI and the only bit I'm having trouble with is religion.
I haven't been paying much attention to it; but now one of the AI nations is THIS close to acheiving a religious victory. He's even converted me.
How do I stop his spread, or reconvert my own provinces. I don't have a religion, I missed the boat on that. If I purchase apostles, they are all of HIS religion.

This is one of the things I really like about VI - there are multiple threats.  I am very late to answer but as Sol answered, you basically have to take out his ability to send out missionaries.  Conquering large numbers of his cities will not do it because they will still have the same religion.  But it might open up an opportunity for another religion to come in since he will be weakened - but then you have the same problem with the new religion...

Religious victories are one of my favourite ways to get to victory in the game.  It is a lot less grindy than the military victory. The easiest route for me is the cultural victory (love sending those rock bands out to subvert the youth of my opponents  :D).

DG, I wonder if your dislike of the game is that you are playing it like II and not taking advantage of all the other mechanics in the game.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 16, 2021, 10:42:58 AM
Seeing this thread, I decided to reinstall the game from Steam, and give it another go.  I lasted 40 minutes before I got bored.  "Please, no more turns..."
I've found I restarted often. Resource limitations make sense for game mechanics, but if I have no domestic iron or horses I may as well stop playing. Same later on when I have 3 oil and 12 coal.  I'll get steam rollered.

You could go for a non-domination victory I suppose. I don't know. I'm pretty new to CIV VI. Last I played was CIV III.

Really?

I tend to agree.  If Civ IV were hexagonal, it'd be near perfection.

DGuller

I wish there were a middle ground between stack of doom and hopeless traffic jam.  Neither feels like a satisfying way to handle units.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 17, 2021, 02:17:58 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 16, 2021, 10:42:58 AM

Really?

I tend to agree.  If Civ IV were hexagonal, it'd be near perfection.

I think it had a lot of good things going for it, but I prefer VI because of the elimination of doom stacks.

Solmyr

I like that in Civ VI you don't need to spam endless units to be successful.

Darth Wagtaros

They did an update recently and I decided to check it out.  Now it takes 30 seconds at least between turns. And some of the menus don't seem to work.  Damn it.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: Solmyr on May 18, 2021, 02:51:02 AM
I like that in Civ VI you don't need to spam endless units to be successful.
Agreed on that. I found it very tedious in earlier Civ versions that we needed huge numbers of units. Also glad that in later games the AI wasn't so aggressive about placing  cities inside your areas. I used to station blocking units at my borders to prevent AI settlers from encroaching so much.

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 29, 2021, 06:40:36 AM
They did an update recently and I decided to check it out.  Now it takes 30 seconds at least between turns. And some of the menus don't seem to work.  Damn it.
I read about the update, been meaning to try it. I think I'll wait a bit now, so they can tweak/fix things.

Darth Wagtaros

What was cool was in a game ysterday my city state ally was able to break up a Mongol assault and then razed one of their cities.  I don't recall seeing that before.  I quickly rushed a settler in to claim the ground.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

City states are da 💣
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?