And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2021, 10:46:57 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2021, 09:11:46 AM
Had third go with CIV6 when it was on free weekend trial, still couldn't get into it.  :hmm:

Yeah...I bought it this weekend, pretty cheap with a bunch of DLCs and XPs.

The one thing I think CIV needs is tech spread. I know you can trade techs; but it should have some form of tech spread, so that one country isn't lobbing bows and arrows whilst its neighbour is producing T34s.
Yeah, good point, especially bad if you're the one with the bows and arrows... I play off and on, but rarely finish a game. Not a power player, I  just enjoy it to some extent.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: KRonn on April 13, 2021, 08:49:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2021, 10:46:57 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2021, 09:11:46 AM
Had third go with CIV6 when it was on free weekend trial, still couldn't get into it.  :hmm:

Yeah...I bought it this weekend, pretty cheap with a bunch of DLCs and XPs.

The one thing I think CIV needs is tech spread. I know you can trade techs; but it should have some form of tech spread, so that one country isn't lobbing bows and arrows whilst its neighbour is producing T34s.
Yeah, good point, especially bad if you're the one with the bows and arrows... I play off and on, but rarely finish a game. Not a power player, I  just enjoy it to some extent.
Even the tech doesn't matter if you lack some vital resources.  I remember not having any local oil sources. 
PDH!

Eddie Teach

I've been playing this for a few months. I really enjoy the city planning aspect, but many of the game mechanics are poorly thought out or just strange. The religious victory is too easy, rock bands are too powerful, and the diplomatic game is kind of a mess.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 10, 2021, 04:08:58 PM
I've been playing this for a few months. I really enjoy the city planning aspect, but many of the game mechanics are poorly thought out or just strange. The religious victory is too easy, rock bands are too powerful, and the diplomatic game is kind of a mess.

like real life then, save for the religious victory

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on April 08, 2021, 04:46:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2021, 02:39:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 07, 2021, 12:14:02 PM
More generally, the problem with all Civ games is that many of their mechanics snowball rather than hit diminishing returns.  The rich get richer faster than the poor get richer, which is an unstable system.

Yeah but that's a generic 4X problem (with Paradox games very much included) that few tried to address.
Its hard to think how to do this in a fun way even. Modelling decline in a way that is still enjoyable is the ultimate game design challenge.
Attila Total War?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

So I'm pretty new to Civ VI and the only bit I'm having trouble with is religion.
I haven't been paying much attention to it; but now one of the AI nations is THIS close to acheiving a religious victory. He's even converted me.
How do I stop his spread, or reconvert my own provinces. I don't have a religion, I missed the boat on that. If I purchase apostles, they are all of HIS religion.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Best bet would be to conquer a city with a third religion and pump out their apostles. Or restart.

Jacob

Conquer the holy city of that religion from him?

DGuller

The most sure way is obviously capturing the holy city, but that's usually the capital, so if you can capture that, you can fuck the enemy up regardless.  If you don't have the power to fuck them up in this way, then try to protect the holdout AIs from being converted OR conquered.  Conquering the lone holdout Civ yourself is definitely a bad strategic decision.

Eddie Teach

You can't attack their missionaries with same religion apostles, can you?

Solmyr

You could also use weak missionaries of their religion to go and lose theological combat to apostles or inquisitors of other religions. This will reduce the influence of this religion in a radius around where the combat takes place.

Josephus

Also when you attack missionaries, do you have to be at war?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2021, 08:29:36 AM
Also when you attack missionaries, do you have to be at war?
No.
PDH!

DGuller

Seeing this thread, I decided to reinstall the game from Steam, and give it another go.  I lasted 40 minutes before I got bored.  "Please, no more turns..."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2021, 11:00:38 PM
Seeing this thread, I decided to reinstall the game from Steam, and give it another go.  I lasted 40 minutes before I got bored.  "Please, no more turns..."
I've found I restarted often. Resource limitations make sense for game mechanics, but if I have no domestic iron or horses I may as well stop playing. Same later on when I have 3 oil and 12 coal.  I'll get steam rollered.
PDH!