Italian Court Rules Stealing Food Is Not a Crime if You're Hungry

Started by jimmy olsen, May 03, 2016, 11:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I wonder what BarristerBoy's reaction will be?  :ph34r:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/italian-court-rules-stealing-food-not-crime-if-you-re-n567141

QuoteItalian Court Rules Stealing Food Is Not a Crime if You're Hungry

by Erik Ortiz

In an act of desperation, a homeless man living in Italy pocketed sausage and cheese — worth the equivalent of $4.71 — from a supermarket where he was buying breadsticks.

Ukrainian national Roman Ostriakov was caught, convicted and sentenced to six months in jail last year with a 100-euro ($115) fine.

But in a case drawing parallels to the story of "Les Misérables" protagonist Jean Valjean, Ostriakov has been redeemed: Italy's highest court annulled the verdict against him, according to reports Monday.

In Victor Hugo's epic French historical novel, Valjean served prison time after stealing bread for his sister's starving children.

An Italian state prosecutor tried to appeal Ostriakov's sentence in the 2011 case on a technicality, arguing that he should not have been found guilty of theft, but rather attempted theft, because he had been caught before he left the store.

But Italy's Supreme Court of Cassation went further: It threw out the conviction — essentially finding that because the 30-year-old was homeless and hungry, he stole the food from a market in Genoa out of necessity.

"The condition of the accused and the circumstances in which he obtained the merchandise show that he had taken the little amount of food he needed to overcome his immediate and essential requirement for nourishment," it said in a written ruling.

The court's lenience was seen as a humanitarian act of mercy by some Italians.

"The court's decision reminds us all that in a civilized country no one should be allowed to die of hunger," the Italian newspaper La Stampa wrote in a front-page editorial.

Another newspaper, Corriere della Sera, meanwhile, slammed the Italian justice system for taking five years before it decided a case for a theft worth less than $5.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quoteslammed the Italian justice system for taking five years before it decided a case for a theft worth less than $5.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

I don't know if he had exhausted other ways of getting food, but stealing food if it's necessary to save you from starvation is legal in many (most?) civilized countries.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Crazy! What's next? Being able to shoot people in self defense?

Archy

I've even heard this crazy story about citizens allowed to make arrests  :o ;)

Admiral Yi

So how's this principle supposed to be carried out?  People steal food, get arrested, then they have to convince a judge they were starving?  Maybe like a simple blood sugar test?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2016, 12:32:08 AM
So how's this principle supposed to be carried out?  People steal food, get arrested, then they have to convince a judge they were starving?  Maybe like a simple blood sugar test?

That works like every other criminal defense.  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 12:34:46 AM
That works like every other criminal defense.  :huh:

I didn't know all criminal defenses worked the same.

Maladict

I like the one they have in Belgium where you cannot be punished for breaking out of prison because it's a basic human desire to be free.

Martinus

Well, they all work the same in that you need to actively bring up a defense as a defendant but whilst the burden of proof is technically on you, the standard of evidence is lower (compared to, say, civil trial) because it is sufficient that your defense raises reasonable doubts about your culpability.

As for the actual defense being used here, it is one that is relatively most common and ubiquitous (along with self defense), i.e. doctrine of necessity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necessity

Archy

Quote from: Maladict on May 04, 2016, 12:38:32 AM
I like the one they have in Belgium where you cannot be punished for breaking out of prison because it's a basic human desire to be free.
You can be convicted though for crimes done while breaking free.So it only applies if you can get out of jail without doing damage to the prison and without taking hostage some people.

Zanza

Quote from: Archy on May 04, 2016, 05:23:23 AM
Quote from: Maladict on May 04, 2016, 12:38:32 AM
You can be convicted though for crimes done while breaking free.So it only applies if you can get out of jail without doing damage to the prison and without taking hostage some people.
Same in Germany.

Martinus

In Poland "self liberation" is a crime punishable by a maximum sentence of 2 years of imprisonment (that's on top of any crime you may commit while escaping). I guess I can see why AfD thinks Germany's criminal law is too lenient.