News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Describe your career

Started by Jaron, May 01, 2016, 04:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I hold conference calls, keep plates spinning, and update project plans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2016, 03:56:32 PM
In time it became obvious that AT&T just wanted people to follow cookbooks and press buttons.  That wasn't for me, and I wasn't too sad when I lost my job.  I ended up working on the railroad; which is decidedly lower tech, but allows for actual engineering.  While our society gives status to people who put on a tie and work in an office; I think there's something to be said for putting on a hardhat and going out to the field.

Somebody's gotta do it.

I give all the mad props in the world to the utilities linemen: they're up there with firefighters as far as I'm concerned.  Fucking electricity.  I don't even like changing a fucking light bulb--they're up in the bucket, bringing people back online in the middle of a hurricane. 

KRonn

I started out working as a plumber in my teen years, but when a big recession hit there was little work in the trades and building. I then got a job in a warehouse which turned into being a computer operator which has led to the kind of work I've done for the rest of my working life. I started taking computer courses, got a two year degree, and continued with school and different jobs, operations, programming and support. I finally landed in probably the best job I've ever had which has lasted nearly nineteen years, working in IT application support. Good benefits, health care plan and generous vacation. I plan on retiring around the end of the year.

Hamilcar

I'm one of the best people in the world in my field.

crazy canuck

Things have worked out very well considering where I started  :)

Valmy

My career was a humiliating embarrasment until about 15 months ago. Today I co-chaired a hearing on a major project to help increase transmission to accomidate wind energy production in the Panhandle and helped to shape policy on ratepayer reimbursement on capital infrastructure projects state wide. It almost makes me want to cry with joy to remember this time two years ago I was getting screamed at by entitled assholes over their inability to pay tuition on time  :cry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I am a project manager in the headquarters of a multinational. While my responsibilities and income have grown over the years, I have not made the step to management yet, so I am not sure if you can call it a career.