Who are the counter-culture musicians/singers of now?

Started by Martinus, April 23, 2016, 06:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

It may be a sign of me growing old, but when someone asked this question recently, I could not name any. I am looking here for the likes of Marylin Manson, Kurt Cobain or Mick Jagger in their respective heyday and not pop startlets like Miley Cyrus, of course. Who fulfils that role for today's youths?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

I was asking myself the same thing and couldn't come up with any.

mongers

[Languish mode/]

Was Mick Jagger ever that counter-culture?

[/Languish mode]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Marilyn Manson was counter-culture too? I went to a couple of concerts in my 20s and I was as rebellious as Barnes & Noble's best seller stand.

Over here there's a sizable underground scene, from RATM wannabes to weird metal shit. Nothing musically breath thaking, but fits the bill.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Today's culture is moving too fast to become entrenched long enough to spawn or even warrant counter-cultural elements.

Like g says, now it's pretty much all pop, all the time.

celedhring

Also, there's little barriers for musicians to reach their audiences nowadays so you don't really have the same "music they don't want you to listen to" aura. At least in the west.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2016, 08:50:53 AM
Also, there's little barriers for musicians to reach their audiences nowadays so you don't really have the same "music they don't want you to listen to" aura. At least in the west.

Yeah, I think that is exactly it.  Access to music is easy and immediate.  There is no such thing as hunting down an alternative band's album.  People can listen to whatever they want on demand.

CountDeMoney

I didn't know that music that wasn't readily accessible was defined as counter-culture. 

Camerus

Many traditional pillars / mores of society have also greatly weakened since the 60's (a process which has accelerated in the internet age), making it more difficult to define The Man against whom to rail, except perhaps economic elites.

So I guess bands that opt out of the "whole corporate mainstream sell-out thing, man," though such bands are a dime a dozen... and most are probably actually only there because they haven't made their splash yet.  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2016, 10:29:52 AM
I didn't know that music that wasn't readily accessible was defined as counter-culture.

Its not.  Its more the way the dominant culture is defined.  You need that before you can define its counter.  Those concepts don't make much sense anymore. 

Think back, way back into the mists of time, when you could buy a record by Huey Lewis and the News anywhere but you had to go to a specialty record place to get anything that was House.

Martinus

Yeah, what CdM said - I disagree with your view on this guys. Kobain and Jager also sold a lot of records, it was more about representing some sort of rebellion from the mainstream. Right now it does not seem to exist.

In fact I am not sure how much Peter Wiggin was joking, but "Christian rock bands" is probably closer to the answer on this question than the likes of Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2016, 10:59:13 AM

Its not.  Its more the way the dominant culture is defined.  You need that before you can define its counter.  Those concepts don't make much sense anymore. 

Think back, way back into the mists of time, when you could buy a record by Huey Lewis and the News anywhere but you had to go to a specialty record place to get anything that was House.

The dominant culture right now is something along the lines of leftist progressive PC culture.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.