Hawking & Russian Billionare to send probe to A. Centauri at 20% speed of light

Started by jimmy olsen, April 13, 2016, 09:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Maybe we should just spam them to all corners of the galaxy and stamp them with "If found, please return to Earth."
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Malthus

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 14, 2016, 11:14:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2016, 10:59:53 PMIf you started raining iPhone-sized machines traveling at .2 C you on to a planet, it would cause some really big booms.

Shelling an alien civilization with high speed iphones would be the perfect human first contact though.

If each one was a seed that grew a Starbucks where it landed, it would be perfect. And not unexpected.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Pretty damn cool concept and idea! Next, the manned missions using large space craft with similar propulsion systems.   :)

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on April 14, 2016, 12:59:28 PM
Pretty damn cool concept and idea! Next, the manned missions using large space craft with similar propulsion systems.   :)

We would have to damn lucky to find a planet fit for settlement in the closest star system. But yes. A 50 year trip is at least conceivable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2016, 12:54:18 PM
If each one was a seed that grew a Starbucks where it landed, it would be perfect. And not unexpected.  :)

We're talking about galactic war to the bitter end now.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2016, 12:54:18 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 14, 2016, 11:14:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2016, 10:59:53 PMIf you started raining iPhone-sized machines traveling at .2 C you on to a planet, it would cause some really big booms.

Shelling an alien civilization with high speed iphones would be the perfect human first contact though.

I am so going to steal that joke.  "If you bury an IPhone a Starbucks will grow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hamilcar

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Hamilcar on April 14, 2016, 05:46:47 PM
I have a bridge to sell to these people.  :lol:

Is there something theoretically unsound about making a little thing go really really fast? :(

Perhaps they could just use an Emdrive.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Razgovory

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 14, 2016, 08:41:59 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on April 14, 2016, 05:46:47 PM
I have a bridge to sell to these people.  :lol:

Is there something theoretically unsound about making a little thing go really really fast? :(

Perhaps they could just use an Emdrive.

I don't think there is anything theoretically unsound, it just has enormous practical problems.  For instance, a laser could be used as propulsion, but the faster the craft moves the faster it get beyond the effective range of a laser.  And you can't put all the energy up front because the acceleration would crush the craft.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#laserthermal  This guy does a pretty good job demonstrating the tyranny of science.  His website good for pretty much all your sci-fi space questions.  Space travel is hard.