Second Viking site in North America discovered?

Started by Caliga, March 31, 2016, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I always wondered why didn't the norse kept sailing south along the new england coast all the way to the Caribbean.

I am sure they would have an easier time dominating the local taine, siboney, arawak, and carib tribes, than dealing with the Iroquois federation.

Couldn't norse ship just keep sailing all the way south with minimal maintenance along the coast? The knarr seems like a simple enough ship to maintain.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on April 02, 2016, 08:05:49 PM
They settled around where Dublin is today and further south.

In Ireland, they met Celts ready to fight.

And they fought each other. And the Celts all fought other Celts. It was a big mess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on April 02, 2016, 08:53:28 PM
I always wondered why didn't the norse kept sailing south along the new england coast all the way to the Caribbean.

I am sure they would have an easier time dominating the local taine, siboney, arawak, and carib tribes, than dealing with the Iroquois federation.

Couldn't norse ship just keep sailing all the way south with minimal maintenance along the coast? The knarr seems like a simple enough ship to maintain.

One ship wasn't going to dominate no matter how far they went. Unlike the Spanish, they didn't have cannons or gunpowder.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

The Spanish didn't really use their guns to dominate much early on. 15th and 16th century guns were not all that. Their armor and steel weapons and horses though...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2016, 09:55:51 PM
The Spanish didn't really use their guns to dominate much early on. 15th and 16th century guns were not all that. Their armor and steel weapons and horses though...

Eddie Teach

Scoff all you want, the Vikings didn't have the numbers or a great enough technological edge to form an empire in the New World, they were either killed or assimilated by the natives.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 02, 2016, 09:48:11 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 02, 2016, 08:53:28 PM

One ship wasn't going to dominate no matter how far they went. Unlike the Spanish, they didn't have cannons or gunpowder.

They also had much smaller, less seaworthy ships.  And were less organized, and had far fewer resources.  Or map making knowledge.  Or even knew there was a Carribean.  Not to mention the difficulty in maintaining lines of communication all along the Eastern seaboard. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2016, 09:55:51 PM

And found natives that were fighting other natives, too. The Spanish never brought the kind of numbers to do it alone. Not by a long shot.

The Brain

I'm into vikings right now. Went to see the viking stuff at the Historical Museum in Stockholm again, and bought and read a nice book, Vikingar i krig, written by Norwegians (sic).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Have anything specific to distinguish the subhumans from Norway with subhumans from the rest of the world?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2016, 03:18:43 AM
Have anything specific to distinguish the subhumans from Norway with subhumans from the rest of the world?

Nope. I can't see any difference between Norwegian muslims and muslims from the rest of the world.

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2016, 03:18:43 AM

Fishy smell maybe?

Norgy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2016, 12:42:17 AM
Scoff all you want, the Vikings didn't have the numbers or a great enough technological edge to form an empire in the New World, they were either killed or assimilated by the natives.

True. The technological "edge" was the longship. The numbers is the real issue; even before the Black Plague there was less than a million people living in all of the Kingdom of Norway. Probably around 500 000 at best.