About frackin' time, Standardized mobile phone chargers in Europe.

Started by Viking, June 29, 2009, 08:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 30, 2009, 06:35:40 AM
It's not just a matter of cost, the plethora of chargers for various devices is really irritating, the sooner there is convergence to a small range of standard chargers the better.

I concur.
This is one of the few areas where "one size fits all" actually would make sense.

KRonn

Just another try for Euros to exert dominance, create empires all over again. Beware of Euro mobile chargers running amok across the European fruited plains....  :menace:

The Larch

Ultimately, the standarized chargers will have to adapt to non-standarized electrical sockets anyway, so there's still work to do.  :P

Alatriste

Quote from: The Larch on June 30, 2009, 07:27:45 AM
Ultimately, the standarized chargers will have to adapt to non-standarized electrical sockets anyway, so there's still work to do.  :P

I'm not sure if this is technically easy or even feasible, but I really think that at least some of the power outlets in our walls should have been USB compatible years ago... and if that means they should have an small transformer, so be it!

The Larch

Quote from: Alatriste on June 30, 2009, 07:33:25 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 30, 2009, 07:27:45 AM

I'm not sure if this is technically easy or even feasible, but I really think that at least some of the power outlets in our walls should have been USB compatible years ago... and if that means they should have an small transformer, so be it!

I don't know how that works out or what does it mean that a socket is USB compatible, I was talking about all the different standards for sockets that exist in the world, with several in Europe alone, and more than one even in the same country, such as in Spain. ;)

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 30, 2009, 06:35:40 AM
It's not just a matter of cost, the plethora of chargers for various devices is really irritating, the sooner there is convergence to a small range of standard chargers the better.

Yeah, it'd be great my cell phone, Nintendo DS, mp3 player, camera, etc all could use the same plug instead of having to carry around a different plug for every single electronic gizmo.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████