Berkut

It sure as hell sounds boring.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2016, 10:39:44 PM
It sure as hell sounds boring.

Yeah I think your opinion in this thread is clear, thumbelina.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

It is NOT for everyone. I find it funny how the fanboys got carried away with the hype and the game did not live up to their extreme made up expectations so now they think the game sucks. Truth is, they delivered just what they promised. LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

PRC

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 18, 2016, 08:46:21 AM
It is NOT for everyone. I find it funny how the fanboys got carried away with the hype and the game did not live up to their extreme made up expectations so now they think the game sucks. Truth is, they delivered just what they promised. LOL

This RPS article is specifically about the game not delivering what was promised:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/17/broken-promises-of-no-mans-sky/

The Broken Promise Of No Man's Sky And Why It Matters

After years of waiting, No Man's Sky finally took off last week. For some, it soared above the clouds. For others, it crashed into a ditch and exploded. Our John had a rocky flight himself, saying that, while he was enjoying the journey, it was often infuriating. My own experience was one of disappointment. I didn't enjoy the focus on crafting, the endless menus, the lack of purpose to it all. But it was strange that I felt this let down. Then I went back and watched the early trailers and quickly realised that I was not playing the same game I had been shown.

Here's an old video. Let's take a look.

When you look at what's happening here, it's incredible. Alien animals are moving in vast herds, there are tall reptiles bathing in water, a large predator is knocking down trees in an attempt to attack or frighten another, prompting a panicked stampede – all interesting animal behaviour. The ship shoots into space and lands on another planet, virtually seamlessly.

But when you play the game as it is, the feeling of being on a planet – even a beautiful one with a lot of life – does not match this trailer. There are no stampeding herds, no beasts lounging in the nearest river (no rivers at all), no animals tearing up trees or muck. Subsequent trailers have the same problem. There are no giant sand worms, there are no huge shipwrecks on the planet's surface, no low sweeps across the landscape. In fact, for a game that extols freedom, it's strange that your ship cannot fly lower than 50 metres without being forced to hover over an invisible barrier. There will be no races through narrow canyons here.

For many, the sense of disappointment people are feeling is simply due to public expectation spiraling out of control. The hype grew too great, the story goes, and no game could live up to it. Or: people didn't understand what the game was. While it's true a lot of people invented a game in their heads called No Man's Sky and then were baffled when that game didn't appear, it's also true that the game we were shown is not the same as the one we got. Much of what was shown or described in the hype years is wildly unrepresentative of what's there now. Not just the inability to meet other players, even when you are within a few feet of each other. Or the landscape fizzling in around you (far from the seamless surface-to-space-and-back-to-surface demonstrations of early trailers). The entire atmosphere of the game seems to have changed. What once looked like a bracing adventure was now being described by many, often in the tone of apology, as a "quiet" game, a "relaxed" game.

In the videogames industry we are used to scripted marketing material being shown at E3 or GDC or Gamescom, packed with interesting stuff that changes radically by the time of the a game's release. We all remember BioShock Infinite's fake trailers, which seemed like "gameplay" but were really only thinly-veiled first-person cinematics, none of which ended up in the final version. And because we have grown used to this type of advertising, a lot of people are shrugging when it comes to Hello Games' space-faring survival game. It is no different, you could say.

This is an narrow-minded and anti-consumer attitude. Just because every game developer under the quintillion suns does the same thing, does not make it OK. The right question to ask is: Why do we think this is an acceptable thing within our industry? Why are we prepared to buy into a intergalactic spectacle and then shrug off the discrepancies when that spectacle turns out to be only spectacle? To take one example, the animals of No Man's Sky, far from exhibiting any kind of complicated behaviour, are limited to two simplistic modes of being: hostile or non-hostile. You could replace all the animals on these planets, no matter how wonderfully weird they look, with two models – a nasty red blob, and a nice green blob – and it would not change how the game functions or how you react to this world (aside from making your screenshots folder more boring). It's a very shallow food chain.

It's possible some of these features – like gargantuan creatures who live in the ground – are somewhere in the game, hidden deep in the universe, and they simply have not been discovered yet. It's also possible that some features will be added later (Hello Games has already said it will be adding some form of basebuilding to the game in an upcoming patch). But neither of these possibilities excuse the game for its shortcomings as they are now. This isn't an early access title. The game is out, the game is expensive (and this is something I think a lot of us in the press often forget to factor into our thoughts when we get our free press copies) and we have to judge it based on what can be seen here and now. Reddit is already doing just that, in their characteristically crusading (sometimes inaccurate) way, by compiling a list of everything "missing" from the game.

When Aliens: Colonial Marines came out, revealing that all its pre-release footage was a complete misrepresentation, the press and public had a collective meltdown. That's an extreme example, because A:CM was particularly awful and No Man's Sky, by my judgement, is only dull. But we can look at either of these releases, side-by-side with their early trailers, and plainly see that something has been lost.

This isn't about blaming the developers for dropping features – that happens to every game, it is entirely forgivable. We so fervently believe that programmers are magicians we sometimes forget they are fallible ones. But this is about calling developers and publishers out when any such "drops" aren't adequately admitted before release. Later trailers for NMS did not show the giant sandworm, for instance, or low flights across the landscape, but this does not constitute "coming clean". To admit that something has been stripped out, you have to explicitly say so, and you have to say it loudly.

There may be barriers to doing this, marketing teams to wrestle with, business and legal problems that get in the way, deadlines to meet. We often hear that there is a lot happening "under the surface" or "behind the scenes" at studios which prevent developers from being open about changes, features or other important news. But unless we know what these problems are, we can't judge them to be a fair reason or a foul excuse. It's the National Security fallacy. "I'm afraid I can't tell you that but, trust me, there is a good reason why."

It doesn't look good afterwards, in the cold light of post-release, to have neglected to mention all those deleted parts. And it's sometimes hard to see why creators would not mention these things. All it takes is a press release, an open letter, a video on the game's YouTube channel. And while it might be painful at the time to say, "listen guys, we had to take out the asteroid landing" it will be much less painful than the alternative – reaching the day of release and seeing the internet go into a frenzy, sending barrels of hatemail to your doorstep, tearing apart your digital baby. Things change, people will understand. But you have to tell them first.

One benefit of the early access model, for all its shortcomings, is that players see the game as it evolves. There's an immediate transparency. They can follow changes and cuts, even respond to them, and often hear from the developers themselves in regular updates, forums, and so on. A giant blockbuster hiding behind carefully released tidbits of information does not have this comfort. Neither does anyone being purposefully coy or spoiler-allergic. As flawed as the early access road is, it might have been better for Hello Games. Perhaps not monetarily – Sony's pushing of this game has ensured its best-selling status regardless of the critical response – but it may have resulted in a better game, and one closer to the vision set out in that first trailer.

There are some signs, however, that the dangers of hype are being recognised. As the game came closer to release, Hello Games and Sony seemed to understand that the build-up, far from being a boon, could actually be a problem. They began to show bits and pieces of what you would actually be doing on these colourful planets and space stations. And, while it began to feel more concrete, they were also too busy trying to tell everyone what No Man's Sky actually was, that they forgot to tell the world what it wasn't. What it didn't have. It's a matter of contradistinction. You can visualise an animal you've never seen before if someone tells you "it has wings" but you can understand it much better if they follow that up with: "...but it can't fly."

Future developers need to learn from this, just as future marketers do. But marketers are motivated by the bottom line and may not care if they are poisoning the industry with faux-gameplay trailers and hyper-ambitious promises. Developers, on the other hand, have a creative vision of their own and need to take care that it remains true, because it is not the marketing geezer's reputation on the line – it's the creators. In the case of Hello Games, the biggest marketer often was the developer, which might have been half the problem.

The thing to take away, though, is this: the more broken promises we have to endure, the more the videogames industry becomes like modern politics – a massive theatre that every contestant understands is composed of untruths and half-truths, and in which the best silver-tongue will always triumph. It is not that bad yet, at least, I don't think so. We are more at the mercy of excitable nerds than we are manipulative Trumps. But the culture of truth-bending gets worse with every successive E3.

Regardless of how it is being received, No Man's Sky will be remembered. Hopefully, for the right reason – not as a disappointment or a triumph – but as a lesson. You can take your audience for a soaring ride above the clouds, but you have to bring them back to earth every once in a while.

Valmy

QuoteHopefully, for the right reason – not as a disappointment or a triumph – but as a lesson. You can take your audience for a soaring ride above the clouds, but you have to bring them back to earth every once in a while.

Ah. A lesson for the developers. I was about to say: gamers will never learn the lesson to cool their jets about pre-release hype even though there must be about 100 such lessons since the 1980s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2016, 09:46:26 AM
QuoteHopefully, for the right reason – not as a disappointment or a triumph – but as a lesson. You can take your audience for a soaring ride above the clouds, but you have to bring them back to earth every once in a while.

Ah. A lesson for the developers. I was about to say: gamers will never learn the lesson to cool their jets about pre-release hype even though there must be about 100 such lessons since the 1980s.

OTOH, the same could be said about the development side since the 1980s--

QuoteIn the case of Hello Games, the biggest marketer often was the developer, which might have been half the problem.

Inmates running the asylum.

Caliga

99 of which were taught by Peter Molyneux. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on August 30, 2016, 05:59:25 PM
99 of which were taught by Peter Molyneux. :)
Fable III was fucking beautiful.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

I played 20 hours of this. I didn't follow any of the hype, and was mostly looking for an exploration game, so my initial reaction was likely colored by that.

I enjoyed the game for a while. It's kinda relaxing to explore a bizarre planet and its denizens. However, after three systems and a dozen or so planets I felt I was done with it. The procedural generator creates some nice planets, vistas, and pretty places, but after a while you start to recognize the elements that go into the blender (both for flora, fauna, and landscape) and this severely reduced my immersion or curiosity to see something new. As one reviewer somewhere said, you might as well pull the level on a slot machine.

If there were (many) more elements for the procedural generation, so that landing on a planet doesn't so often feel like a palette swap of something you've seen before would be great. Additionally, add procedural generation to buildings and settlements. Seeing the same handful of structures dotted throughout the planet is very "meh". Have a little hub with a dozen or two dozen buildings once in a while. Also, have a minimap that fills in as you explore a planet. Show points of interest on the map, so you can find that stupid trade hub again.

The survival/crafting element is a mere annoyance. It's not really a challenge, because most elements can be found easily. Crafting recipes can be found almost anywhere (and they're bland "+2" of something recipes). Having enough Isotopes ready to recharge your suit, or Plutonium for take offs is nothing more than busy work. Either go full survival (make the meters deplete slower, but also make elements a lot rarer). Or remove them and focus on the exploration. Some of the busy work can be alleviated by improving your equipment (e.g. better life support), but it's still annoying as heck to me.

The game I felt most reminded of while playing No Man's Sky is Out There: Omega Edition: http://store.steampowered.com/app/334420/?

You're an astronaut stranded in an unknown area of space. You have to mine for fuel and minerals to survive and manage your inventory which looks something like this:

You meet the occasional alien that may or may not teach you a wod of their language in exchange for goods. You craft new stuff for your ship (though most items in OT:OE are more fleshed out than the gazillion +1 enhancements in NMS). You can find new ships and move your inventory between them. Some ships are fast with little inventory. Others are big, slow  hulks that require oodles of resources.

And you have many encounters with little "choose your own adventure" stories. The game design is much tighter, though, and while you also spend a lot of time garnering resources it's almost always in a do or die situation - one or two bad jumps into systems with limited or no resources can completely ruin your playthrough.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

I agree, the game entertained me enough to max out my suit, ship and blaster and finish the Atlas path (very disappointing end to that <_<) in more than 100 hours of gameplay (less than 200). I am putting it down until they add some more stuff (they have hinted on free future DLC). At that point I'll take the "Travel to the center of the galaxy" path (for an even more disappointing end :D).
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

Update today adds battlemech things you can pilot around on the planet.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers