News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your (prefered) definition of evil?

Started by Martinus, March 30, 2016, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Richard Hakluyt

Agelastus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2016, 05:46:33 AM
Rats live on no evil star.

:D

I'm beginning to rue the absence of a "like" button on this board.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Scipio

Quote from: 11B4V on March 30, 2016, 07:52:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2016, 09:57:24 AM
If you were to define evil in the simplest and at the same time more accurate way, how would you do it (you do not have to be original - it could be someone else's definition).
Anyways back to the OP's question.
Ill use a quote.

The malice of a true Christian attempting to destroy an opponent is something unique in the world. No other religion ever considered it necessary to destroy others because they did not share the same beliefs. At worst, another man's belief might inspire amusement or contempt—the Egyptians and their animal gods, for instance. Yet those who worshipped the Bull did not try to murder those who worshipped the Snake, or to convert them by force from Snake to Bull. No evil ever entered the world quite so vividly or on such a vast scale as Christianity did.
That's a bunch of horsepucky anti-Christian bullshit. Lots of religions believe in destroying non-believers, and plenty of Christian states did not ever try to destroy non-Christians.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Norgy

Quote from: Agelastus on March 31, 2016, 08:03:07 AM

:D

I'm beginning to rue the absence of a "like" button on this board.

I've missed that for some time.
There are posts that are pure genius here at times.

Malthus

Fritz Leiber uses this one in one of his Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, I believe.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

If you were to define evil in the simplest and at the same time more accurate way, how would you do it (you do not have to be original - it could be someone else's definition).

Islam

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2016, 11:07:13 AM

Fritz Leiber uses this one in one of his Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, I believe.  ;)

I think he may well have done, it has been hanging about in the recesses of my mind for some decades, unsure who first thought of it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on March 31, 2016, 02:44:39 PM

Islam

So there was no evil before that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2016, 04:56:26 PM
So there was no evil before that?

Well no before them it was the Romans
And before them the Greeks
And before them the Babylonians
And before them the Assyrians
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2016, 10:02:23 AM
To my mind, evil basically consists of treating people as things.

but a lot of good can (and I'm sure has) come out of treating people as things/objects. evil exists more when people are treated as things in a bad context (which is subjective)

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on April 01, 2016, 12:06:25 AM

but a lot of good can (and I'm sure has) come out of treating people as things/objects. evil exists more when people are treated as things in a bad context (which is subjective)

Not really.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on April 01, 2016, 12:34:16 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 01, 2016, 12:06:25 AM

Not really.

What about when you treat one of your boyfriends as a garden hose with baseball?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.