News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your (prefered) definition of evil?

Started by Martinus, March 30, 2016, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Paraphrasing Asimov might work. Causing harm to a human being or other living creature or, through inaction, allowing a human being or living creature to come to harm.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2016, 10:40:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 10:29:48 AM
I dunno, I reserve the right to formulate it in a better way, but pretty much I would define evil as being contrary to God's wishes and nature.

Yes...but who speaks for God?

In reality?

Whoever says they speak for God, of course. And has the motivation to act on those beliefs in some fashion.

BarristerBoy himself demands that we accept his word for what God wants, and is happy to support laws that reflect his understanding of that word, even when they trample on the liberty of those who do not agree with his interpretation. Indeed, according to his definition, it would be evil to do otherwise.

That is why this idea is to fucking terrifying to me. So many people buy into this, and while someone like Beebs buying into is (mostly) pretty benevolent, it is this *exact same belief* that justifies the suicide bombing of children, or lining up men along a ditch and machine gunning them for apostasy, or whatever other atrocities are routinely being committed today in the name of following "God's wishes and nature".

We don't even need to get that extreme though - it is this exact same definition of evil that gets school boards to insist on putting creationism in science classes, or fuels climate change denial.

Of course Beeb believes that those people are wrong, but they believe, apparently with even greater fervor than he does, that HE is wrong.

Note: I am NOT arguing that religious extremism is the ONLY possible motivation for atrocity. There are others as well, of course, as Stalin was so happy to illustrate. But it is pretty hard to beat the "Because god wants it that way" as justification for actions that are in fact evil from any objective standpoint.

Ironically, it is the definition of evil given by BB that, in my opinion, actually leads to actual evil actions. And this goes back into Malthus's definition, although I would put it a little differently.

Evil is the defining away the humanity of others, the casting of other humans into the class of "things" that can be destroyed, enslaved, exploited or denied equality based on them being in some "other" group that does not deserve inclusion into the full equality of the "right" group.

I always thought that it requires an immense amount of hubris to claim to know not only what God wants for you, but what God wants for other people.

Martinus

At some level, I have to say, I agree with Beeb's definition but I probably do not understand it in the same way he does.

From that (and mine) perspective, evil would be doing (or forcing something or someone to do) something that is not your/his/her/its "purpose". Now, how you define that purpose is another question whatsoever. Even if you claim God's hand in determining the purpose, it is extremely shortsighted and prideful to claim to know what other people's "purpose" is, though - hence, killing people, enslaving them etc. is evil because that way you impose your idea of their "purpose" on them (here it comes very close to "treating over people as things"). But as long as they are doing what they think is their "purpose" - and they are not preventing others from doing the same - you have no right to stop them (which is probably where I disagree with Beeb, as I assume he believes God's wishes are the same for all, so you have a right to stop someone not doing God's wishes).

For non-human entities (such as animals, plants, environment, inanimate objects) we can more easily determine something's purpose in a more universal way, I think - so evil would be doing stuff to these entities that is contrary to their "purpose" - so fucking or torturing an animal, polluting the environment, destroying things of art just for the sake of it.

Admittedly, this theory is still work in progress, so don't nitpick the inconsistencies. :P

The Brain

I don't find a definition of evil very useful.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 11:03:03 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
BarristerBoy himself demands that we accept his word for what God wants

I demand no such thing.  God gave you the gift of reason and intellect - you figure out for yourself what God wants you to do.  There are some pretty wise people over the centuries who have had some opinions on that, and listening to them may give you some guidance, but only you can decide for yourself.

You say you do not, but of course you do when you support laws that reflect your interpretation of what God wants, and hence what defines "good" and "evil" in the context of what YOUR god wants.

I don't see you supporting Sharia law, for example. But you do support laws that reflect your particular morality which you just defined as being defined by the will of your God.

So yes, you do in fact demand exactly that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 10:51:08 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2016, 10:37:06 AM
I dunno, I reserve the right to formulate it in a better way, but pretty much I would define evil as being contrary to God's wishes and nature.

That is almost stunning in how terrifying it is...

I knew you'd love it. 

You just defined *me* as evil, so yeah, I would tend to object to that.

It is this concept of evil that justifies my beliefs as a death sentence in some countries. And what is more, with *your* definition of evil, *their* demand that I be legally killed for my beliefs is "good".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Norgy

Evil, to me, is sociopacy. Doing what's wrong even when you know it is.
Otherwise, vile and evil actions are mostly a result of letting yourself be an instrument in a long chain of command.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2016, 12:42:32 PM

I knew you'd love it. 

It is this concept of evil that justifies my beliefs as a death sentence in some countries. And what is more, with *your* definition of evil, *their* demand that I be legally killed for my beliefs is "good".

Hey, he could worship you as a god. Then, there'd be no problem.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

merithyn

I define it as being purely selfish. By that I mean that someone is so selfish that no one and no thing can or will supersede their desires, wants, and/or needs.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2016, 12:59:40 PM
I define it as being purely selfish. By that I mean that someone is so selfish that no one and no thing can or will supersede their desires, wants, and/or needs.

So, being like God?

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2016, 12:42:32 PM

I knew you'd love it. 

You really like putting words in my mouth Berkie.

I did not define you as evil.  You seem like a very decent guy.  You work hard, provide for your family, love your wife and children, are active in your local community... all of that seems entirely in accordance with God's nature as far as I can tell.  You may not believe in Him, but whether you know it or not you seem to be living a pretty Christian life. :hug:

And I have no hestitation in saying that those who would put you to death because of your religion (or lack thereof) are pretty clearly evil.  Jesus was pretty clear on the "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" bit.  We're supposed to leave the judging up to God.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2016, 01:01:03 PM

So, being like God?

God, Ayn Rand, they're quite similar.

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2016, 01:01:03 PM

So, being like God?

Those who claim godlike status are typically evil, yes.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...