Calling all Christians - how well do you know your doctrine?

Started by Martinus, March 26, 2016, 12:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

unknown and irrelevant. (speaking from the belief system I was raised in)

Martinus

Quote from: Maximus on March 28, 2016, 12:44:58 PM

Ignorant and irrelevant would be a better response. And also a good description of your post. Why did you make it?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on March 28, 2016, 12:59:34 PM

Ignorant and irrelevant would be a better response. And also a good description of your post. Why did you make it?

It is the answer to your OP, ffs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on March 28, 2016, 12:59:34 PM

Because you asked?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maximus

Is it more ignorant to claim something is known or to claim it is unknown when it is, in fact, unknown?

dps

Quote from: Maximus on March 28, 2016, 05:01:08 PM
Is it more ignorant to claim something is known or to claim it is unknown when it is, in fact, unknown?

It's not unknown according to Roman Catholic doctrine.  I've pointed out before that sometimes Marti doesn't seem to realize that all Christians aren't Catholic. 

Of course, that's just a bit of a joke, but he does sometimes show a lack of awareness of the doctrines and attitudes of non-Catholic Christians.   Understandable for someone who grew up in Poland.  What percentage of the population is non-Catholic Christian there?  Less than 5% I'd say on a guess, maybe less than 1%.  Again, that's just a guess, so I'm open to being shown to be wrong on that.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: dps on March 28, 2016, 06:09:59 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 28, 2016, 05:01:08 PM

It's not unknown according to Roman Catholic doctrine.  I've pointed out before that sometimes Marti doesn't seem to realize that all Christians aren't Catholic. 

Of course, that's just a bit of a joke, but he does sometimes show a lack of awareness of the doctrines and attitudes of non-Catholic Christians.   Understandable for someone who grew up in Poland.  What percentage of the population is non-Catholic Christian there?  Less than 5% I'd say on a guess, maybe less than 1%.  Again, that's just a guess, so I'm open to being shown to be wrong on that.

The second largest Christian religious group after Catholics in Poland are Orthodox Christians - they represent 1.3% of the general populace. All protestants add up to 0.38% of the populace.

In any case, protestants are simply heretics of the Catholic Church so there is no point paying any attention to them. :pope:

Brazen

He pupated and dissolved into component cells that reformed into a new living creature; the same and yet different.

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on March 29, 2016, 05:08:10 AM
He pupated and dissolved into component cells that reformed into a new living creature; the same and yet different.

Jesus was a moth?  That explains how he could "ascend to heaven."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2016, 05:12:51 AM
Jesus was a moth?  That explains how he could "ascend to heaven."
Or towards the nearest light bulb.