Calling all Christians - how well do you know your doctrine?

Started by Martinus, March 26, 2016, 12:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Where was Christ between crucifixion and resurrection?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

I think it's important - and something that today's Christians do not hear about a lot - what Jesus was doing on the Holy Saturday. I think it is also mystically and psychologically important, and shows that early Christians understood a lot more than one could think.

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2016, 12:42:35 PM
Where was Christ between crucifixion and resurrection?

Are you talking about the Harrowing?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Habbaku

I have to wonder if that's something that non-Catholics are taught.  I'll have to ask some of the locals.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Even for Catholics I think it is a pretty obscure reference - definitely not something that is frequently mentioned.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Lutheran's believe it in some fashion or another. I remember that.

Always struck me as a bit melodramatic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

I had a good few Catholic resurrection masses rammed down my throat as a kid and it was never alluded to.

garbon

Seems a bit problematic on the whole allowing non-believers into heaven bit. Why was that only a one time deal? Surely there were lots of other people who were still living after Christ's death who never even had the chance to be Christians as it was still an unknown creed to them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2016, 01:10:51 PM
Even for Catholics I think it is a pretty obscure reference - definitely not something that is frequently mentioned.

Other than in the Apostles Creed.  "He descended into the dead"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 26, 2016, 01:16:08 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 26, 2016, 01:03:08 PM
Netflix and chill?

:D

That's why he came back on the third day;  mailed it in on BSG after 3.5.

Actually, it's just one of those doctrinal retcons that fit neatly into the timeline, and helps explain why his video recorder had recorded three days' worth of static.

Norgy

Quote from: Habbaku on March 26, 2016, 01:07:46 PM
I have to wonder if that's something that non-Catholics are taught.  I'll have to ask some of the locals.

I was raised Lutheran, and it wasn't something we were taught.
The most important thing about crucifixition and resurrection was that Christ died for our sins.
Granted, the Norwegian Lutheran Church isn't very fire and brimstone, but the sacrifice of Jesus on behalf of mankind was really the only important thing about Easter. No wonder we had Quisling. Should've given that lecture about Judas too.