Robbery, up close and personal

Started by DGuller, June 29, 2009, 07:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2009, 12:11:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 01, 2009, 12:05:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2009, 12:02:21 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 30, 2009, 10:20:45 PM
I always wondered what the mugger would do if the victim just suddenly and unexpectedly went completely apeshit, fists and knees flying so fast there's no time to react.  :P

Pre-emptive mugging defense.

Attacking them is a poor idea, but going apeshit crazy and screaming at them and coming across threatening can work.  Doing something completely unexpected will confuse the person and give him second thoughts.

Hey, it works in business meetings.  :D
Might be an urban legend, but I remember reading about this guy who was backpacking/hitchhiking across the US and decided to keep going through Mexico all the way down to Alcapulco or Cancun. He'd managed to scrape enough money to ride a bus and was being eyed by some suspicious looking young men, so he decided to have an enthusiastic conversation with his guitar. It worked and nobody bothered him while he was in Mexico.

They were no doubt "eyeing" him because they thought he looked nuts.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on July 01, 2009, 08:43:51 AM
A group of about 10 "urban" 3rd graders came up to me once and said that if I didn't give them my money they'd beat me up.  I'm a big guy, so I just kept walking.  Then they said that they'd get their older brothers, and I realized how bad it would look if I got in a fight with 3rd graders, no matter the root cause of said fight, would be bad, and that there was probably a couple of mean older brothers or even fathers in there.  Fuckers walked away with $40.

So don't feel bad DG; at least your robber was postpubescent.

Just to let you know that this nugget hasn't escaped my notice during my absence. Info filed away for future mocking.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on July 01, 2009, 08:43:51 AM
A group of about 10 "urban" 3rd graders came up to me once and said that if I didn't give them my money they'd beat me up.  I'm a big guy, so I just kept walking.  Then they said that they'd get their older brothers, and I realized how bad it would look if I got in a fight with 3rd graders, no matter the root cause of said fight, would be bad, and that there was probably a couple of mean older brothers or even fathers in there.  Fuckers walked away with $40.

It's people like you and DG that encourage these little shits.

DGuller

I dunno, my guy seemed pretty encouraged all on his own.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2009, 12:11:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 01, 2009, 12:05:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2009, 12:02:21 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 30, 2009, 10:20:45 PM
I always wondered what the mugger would do if the victim just suddenly and unexpectedly went completely apeshit, fists and knees flying so fast there's no time to react.  :P

Pre-emptive mugging defense.

Attacking them is a poor idea, but going apeshit crazy and screaming at them and coming across threatening can work.  Doing something completely unexpected will confuse the person and give him second thoughts.

Hey, it works in business meetings.  :D
Might be an urban legend, but I remember reading about this guy who was backpacking/hitchhiking across the US and decided to keep going through Mexico all the way down to Alcapulco or Cancun. He'd managed to scrape enough money to ride a bus and was being eyed by some suspicious looking young men, so he decided to have an enthusiastic conversation with his guitar. It worked and nobody bothered him while he was in Mexico.

I can tell you I'm pretty crazy and people avoid me like the plague.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2009, 04:52:58 PM
I can tell you I'm pretty crazy and people avoid me like the plague.

How many times must we explain that your family do not count as "people".
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

HVC

I find that if you look mad and hav ea shaved head people leave you alone :P .
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.