News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Good Friday off work?

Started by merithyn, March 24, 2016, 09:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you get a paid holiday for Good Friday?

US - Yes
US - No, but I work in retail/medical
US - No, and I don't work in retail/medical
ROTW - Yes
ROTW - No, but I work in retail/medical
ROTW - No, and I don't work in retail/medical

Liep

Also, most people in Denmark (except retail/medical) takes the entire week off getting a 10 day holiday.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 09:11:50 AM
State Holiday.

BUT you can work and get comp time which you can then use to take your other Easter day off.

Not at UTHSCSA.  It's just a regular work day. 

We do have the 22nd as one of those mission critical days next month though.

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on March 24, 2016, 09:49:24 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2016, 09:39:12 AM
Quote from: Liep on March 24, 2016, 09:21:24 AM
I get extra vacations days and Sunday pay for working on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and 2nd Easter Day (Monday).

:huh:

"Maundy Thursday"?? "2nd Easter Day"??

What are those?? And what are the religious significance to those?

The Thursday is the day Jebus washed his disciples' feet, I don't know what Maudy means but we call it "Skærtorsdag" and it means Clean Thursday. And Easter Monday is him meeting his disciples.

In the United States we usually call "Maundy Thursday", "Holy Thursday."  In Britain "Holy Thursday" is the Feast of the Ascension (or at least it was in Blake's time.  That's what the poems "Holy Thursday"from Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience refer to.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Never had Good Friday off as far as I can remember.  I don't get paid holidays or vacation with my current gig anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 24, 2016, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 09:11:50 AM
State Holiday.

BUT you can work and get comp time which you can then use to take your other Easter day off.

Not at UTHSCSA.  It's just a regular work day. 

We do have the 22nd as one of those mission critical days next month though.

I didn't get it off at UT Austin either. The Universities have a different schedule.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2016, 09:08:15 AM
I had a conversation with a co-worker today regarding Good Friday as a holiday. He thought that it was a given that companies give that day off work. It got me thinking about it. Growing up in Iowa and then moving to Illinois, Good Friday has never been a state holiday, so I never thought about it being a Federal one. My co-worker has only ever had jobs in Indiana - where it is a state holiday - and in Illinois at very small companies owned by very religious individuals.

So who gets this Friday off work? And how does it work for Eastern Orthodox people with their different Easter calendar?
We get either Friday or Monday off, employer's choice.  In my line of work, it's both for most employees, so I usually take Monday and work on Friday while everyone is at home and nobody calls me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Technically yes, but in practice it is another day of vacation that can be taken at any time.

Phillip V

Luckily, at least half of my work (tech/management) is done from home, so I don't care too much about holidays or vacation.  I am still in my underwear in front of a computer.

celedhring

I'll be working this Friday, but that's because I'm a freelancer. Most businesses will be closed tomorrow in here.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on March 24, 2016, 10:15:31 AM
Luckily, at least half of my work (tech/management) is done from home, so I don't care too much about holidays or vacation.  I am still in my underwear in front of a computer.

:thumbsup:  I work from home every day.  Amazing how much more productive I am without people interrupting me at my desk.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2016, 10:01:54 AM
Never had Good Friday off as far as I can remember.  I don't get paid holidays or vacation with my current gig anyway.

What horrible Godless business do you work in? :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 10:08:34 AM
I didn't get it off at UT Austin either. The Universities have a different schedule.

Kindof a bummer.  I like those mission critical days, because they tend to be more quiet and as you said, you get comp days for them.  When I was less lazy and would show up for them (my department doesn't have any "critical" stuff in that sense, but we can be here if we want, and researchers seem to be all obsessive-like so they're always around), I'd just sit and watch movies all day with my empty inbox on the other screen.  I don't think anyone really knew I was here.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 10:27:48 AM

Project Management consulting.  I can take time off; I just don't get paid for it.  But that's a small sacrifice for the flexibility I have working from home, plus making almost twice what I used to get in my previous job.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 24, 2016, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 24, 2016, 10:27:48 AM

Project Management consulting.  I can take time off; I just don't get paid for it.  But that's a small sacrifice for the flexibility I have working from home, plus making almost twice what I used to get in my previous job.

That sounds like the bit then. When I was in New York, I could work from home everyday but they also let me have paid vacation. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: merithyn on March 24, 2016, 09:39:12 AM
"Maundy Thursday"??
The Queen hands out Maundy money to the same number of deserving individuals as her age every year. Seeing as she's 90 it's getting expensive  :lol:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35890750