Explosions at Zaventem Airport (Brussels airport)/Brussels metro

Started by Crazy_Ivan80, March 22, 2016, 02:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on March 22, 2016, 07:40:10 AM
Sigh.

My condolences of course to our European friends. I don't even know how to react anymore to this shit.

Same. It feels like you can copy/paste 50-pages thread.

Tamas

Archy

fyi we were sent home a bit before noon. Entrance to the freight zone is blockaded by the police. You could leave freely though.

Brazen

Quote from: Archy on March 22, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
fyi we were sent home a bit before noon. Entrance to the freight zone is blockaded by the police. You could leave freely though.
Hope your friends and colleagues weren't directly affected Archy.

Martinus

My pro-Trump/hate Facebook group (aka fan page of the podcast I subscribe to :P) says there is a hostage situation near Amsterdam as well.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2016, 07:44:49 AM
yep

I wonder if this is moving slowly but surely towards the right wing camp, though. I know my views shifted recently, I think Berkut's did too somewhat.

Martinus

My friend who works with the European Commission is in Poland today. I wonder how he knew.  :hmm:

Crazy_Ivan80

at least everyone I know who works in Brussels and Zaventem, and is on Facebook, is safe.
No confirmation about father-in-law but he's not a person who takes public transport. edit: And he's okay too, but can't leave building.

Archy

Quote from: Brazen on March 22, 2016, 07:49:32 AM
Quote from: Archy on March 22, 2016, 07:46:55 AM
Hope your friends and colleagues weren't directly affected Archy.
according to facebook everyone is safe.

derspiess

This is beyond terrible.  Getting tired of things like this happening.  Especially in a place like Brussels :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 22, 2016, 08:05:39 AM
34 dead, 100 (+?) wounded.

Skipping through the news channels. CNN just spoke of nearly 200 injured. But it's CNN, so let's hope their reports are bogus again.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2016, 07:50:58 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2016, 07:44:49 AM
yep

I wonder if this is moving slowly but surely towards the right wing camp, though. I know my views shifted recently, I think Berkut's did too somewhat.

well, it depends. Collective guilt or punishment will always remain the far right's own thing, but the rest is up for grabs by sane people if they are willing to. Like what's being discussed in the Paris thread about extra security screening on Syrians. Or admitting that integration of Islamic culture into the main European one has failed in such a way that it makes EU citizens commit suicide attacks on what should be their home soil. That's what should be looked at by moderate forces and a rational debate to see if this has been a correctable mistake or what we are seeing is simply an unavoidable byproduct of trying to have two very different views on social and cultural matters coexist in the same society. I honestly don't know which.

But if the mainstream continues to pretend the above questions are not valid, then the far-right's rise to power in most of the EU is pretty much guaranteed.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2016, 07:42:32 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 22, 2016, 07:40:10 AM
Sigh.

My condolences of course to our European friends. I don't even know how to react anymore to this shit.

Same. It feels like you can copy/paste 50-pages thread.

I hate to say this, but it may be time for a European terror megathread. I have a feeling that we will have to revisit the issue more often in the coming months and years...  :(

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2016, 06:43:14 AM
If only the people in 2) limited themselves to "saying it must stop", you might have a point.

Yeah. Pretty much everyone across the political spectrum is saying it must stop. Firebombing refugee shelters and organizing nazi street patrols is not quite the same thing, though.