And we're back!

Main Menu

Supreme Court rules for white firefighters

Started by jimmy olsen, June 29, 2009, 02:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on July 01, 2009, 01:37:30 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2009, 01:14:12 AM
I'm glad about the ruling. It should always be the best person for the job, not the prerequisite gender/race/sexuality combo according to quota.

I am not sure I entirely agree, actually, especially when the job is in a position that is a part of a "team" and is not one that requires a significant skill or experience. In such cases, promoting diversity may pay off better than actually having a non-diverse group composed of "best persons for the job" because there are apparently studies that suggest that the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" effect is more pronounced in diverse groups.
You think being the Captain of a fire fighting crew doesn't require "significant skill or experience"? :blink:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

I'm glad about the ruling. It should always be the best person for the job, not the prerequisite gender/race/sexuality combo according to quota.

I am not sure I entirely agree, actually, especially when the job is in a position that is a part of a "team" and is not one that requires a significant skill or experience. In such cases, promoting diversity may pay off better than actually having a non-diverse group composed of "best persons for the job" because there are apparently studies that suggest that the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" effect is more pronounced in diverse groups.

While you at least have a point (whether it's correct or not) with the rest of your argument, it's simply not correct to say that the position doesn't require skill or experience. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2009, 02:49:31 AM
Finially,The white male gets a bite of the apple.  It's been a long struggle my friends, but finially we might get ahead!
Our long national nightmare is another step closer to coming to an end... 

New Haven apparently did everything possible to make sure the test was fair. Had everything covered. And even then the city feared using the results of the test. They just couldn't win, things are so screwy with something like this. A good decision by the court. I'm amazed it was even so close.

garbon

Yay standardized tests, how I love thee.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lndhand

Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2009, 01:21:12 AM
But the test is fixed for white firefighters, that's what!

How so?
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2009, 01:21:12 AM
But the test is fixed for white firefighters, that's what!
If it's fixed, don't break it.  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2009, 12:30:07 PM
Yay standardized tests, how I love thee.
This wasn't really a standardized test, though.  It was specifically designed for these test-takers in this promotion cycle.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Strix

Quote from: Barrister on July 01, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

While you at least have a point (whether it's correct or not) with the rest of your argument, it's simply not correct to say that the position doesn't require skill or experience.

It's Languish. The only job that requires skill and experience is that of the person posting. The rest anyone can do.   ;)
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DontSayBanana

Considering it was a promotion exam, all the candidates had to successfully get through the same fire school and pass the same civil service exam to work in a paid fire company.

Unless they could have presented questions on the exam that actually targeted ethnicity directly, this whole thing was fucking stupid.
Experience bij!