The Wachowski Siblings are now the Wachowski Sisters

Started by Martinus, March 09, 2016, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on March 10, 2016, 04:03:40 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 10, 2016, 03:32:40 PM
I didn't get the feeling that it was about nothing at all.

:hmm:

Bad grammar. I didn't get the feeling it was about anything at all.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on March 10, 2016, 12:56:10 PM
I've seen The Matrix multiple times.  It stands up well to repeated viewing.

Yes, on first viewing it's mostly about the big reveal.  But what else is there to recommend?  It's a damn good looking movie.  The sets and costumes, the action sequences (bullet time!), great performances by Fishburne and Huge Weaving (and Keanu Reeves fairly wooden acting actually works for him in The Matrix, though everyone else is bland to terrible).  The movie is also jam-packed with a lot of allegory (I totally missed the Neo as Christ the first time around, though it seems pretty obvious now).

I've seen it twice, and was bored to tears the second time.  All of the pretentiousness of the movie comes out the second time.  The allegories to Gnosticism and the Hindu belief in the unreality of the world are cute, but, I thought, obvious the first time.  I agree that the movie looks good, but that is not improved, I don't think, by repeated viewings... one starts to see the flaws the second time around.

I will grant that some people may find repeated watching worthwhile, just as people find repeated readings of Ulysses worthwhile.  I'm not one of them.

I can watch T2 multiple times because the score is so brilliant and the action scenes so well done.  That movie's action scenes make those of The Matrix pretty tame, and Insane Linda Hamilton is fun every time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2016, 04:38:33 PM
I can watch T2 multiple times because the score is so brilliant and the action scenes so well done.  That movie's action scenes make those of The Matrix pretty tame, and Insane Linda Hamilton is fun every time.

:yes:

It's been 25 years, and with all the FX and camera tech advancements, the entire last act of T2 is still one of the best rides you can watch in film.

Malthus

I always loved the first Terminator movie, because Linda Hamilton looked very much like my first real GF in that movie.  ;) Same big 80s hair, same cute perkiness - though she was a decade older than my e, when we were going out. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

LaCroix

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

Man, you know I couldn't watch The Matrix on the big screen when it came out, the lines were out the door.  (Went for The Passion of the Christ, instead, you know -- just me and my two pals, and a minivan-load of five or six nuns, that's it.)

But because of this thread, I'm going to really watch it.  I've seen nasty bits of "plastic surgery disasters" with suction cups being pulled off while Morgan Freeman does Morgan Freeman, but I ought to really see the film.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 11, 2016, 07:40:35 AM
I've seen nasty bits of "plastic surgery disasters" with suction cups being pulled off while Morgan Freeman does Morgan Freeman, but I ought to really see the film.

Wow, that's really transphobic.

Queequeg

Man, you know I couldn't watch The Matrix on the big screen when it came out, the lines were out the door.  (Went for The Passion of the Christ, instead, you know -- just me and my two pals, and a minivan-load of five or six nuns, that's it.)

But because of this thread, I'm going to really watch it.  I've seen nasty bits of "plastic surgery disasters" with suction cups being pulled off while Morgan Freeman does Morgan Freeman, but I ought to really see the film.
Those movies were not out at the same time.  Was it showing at like a student theater?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

:secret: Lawrence Fishburn
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Tyr on March 09, 2016, 04:41:33 PM
The Matrix was one of the best things ever.
The sequels were pretentious and dumb.

+1
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall