RIP Keith Emerson

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 11, 2016, 05:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josephus

Although I'm a prog fan, I was never huge into ELP other than Brain Salad Surgery, but there's no doubt his influence on a lot of keyboard players. :-(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Capetan Mihali

So I didn't read anything about this but texted "Rip Keith Emerson" to a relative who is a BIG fan, and heard back that he blew his brains out because he had nerve damage and was depressed he couldn't play the keys anymore.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

I think ELP was the first group to use the keyboard as a lead instrument and not just a backup, because Emerson could do so much more with a keyboard than anyone before him.  I generally preferred music with more structure than ELP's music, so I was more a fan of the Moody Blues and Procol Harum, but I did like BSS.    RIP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!