News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Apple vs the FBI

Started by Berkut, March 01, 2016, 11:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2016, 06:19:12 PM
Quote"That the Bureau may not need Apple's help to access the phone points up what's been true in this case all along: the FBI needs to strengthen its own technological capabilities," said Landau, a professor at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts.

Holy Glynco summer computer camp, Batman.

I would say how much I am looking forward to seeing how bad the Federal Fucknuts butcher this workaround, but they would never let that go public anyway. 

*Outside FBI Laboratory Services, 10 minutes later*
"As a result of our investigation, and in close collaboration with other U.S. government departments and agencies, the FBI now has enough information to conclude that the electronic device in question possesses nothing of value in relation to the San Bernardino terrorist attacks, and has since disposed of the device."

We can neither confirm nor deny.....
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 22, 2016, 07:08:32 PM

You do realize that, after a lengthy FBI-led investigation, the FBI will determine that the FBI special agent responsible for shooting the iPhone in FBI custody will be found faultless and justified, don't you?  You know that's how it's going to go down.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 22, 2016, 07:15:30 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 22, 2016, 07:08:32 PM

You do realize that, after a lengthy FBI-led investigation, the FBI will determine that the FBI special agent responsible for shooting the iPhone in FBI custody will be found faultless and justified, don't you?  You know that's how it's going to go down.

He'll probably get a medal, if not a promotion.

11B4V

All's better now

FBI says it has cracked terrorist's iPhone without Apple's help

The DOJ is dropping the case against Apple, since it no longer needs the company's help.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/28/news/companies/fbi-apple-iphone-case-cracked/index.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

That kinda makes Apple's contention that it would have taken many man-months of expert work to accomplish this look bad.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2016, 11:49:32 AM
That kinda makes Apple's contention that it would have taken many man-months of expert work to accomplish this look bad.

Not really - so far as I know, the FBI method involved some exploit in the software, which Apple clearly doesn't know about, or they would fix it.

The question now is whether the FBI will share the information with Apple. Given that they hacked it with outside help suggests (although we can't be sure) that the exploit is known to other third parties.

Who else knows about?

It puts the FBI in kind of an interesting position. On the one hand, why should they help Apple, when Apple wasn't willing to help them? It is not their job to tell Apple about the flaws in their security, and if they tell Apple, Apple will certainly fix it, which means that the FBI is back to bringing court cases when it comes up in the future.

On the other hand, if the exploit puts iPhones in general at risk from anyone who knows the hack, there is a larger concern, even a potential national security concern. And since the exploit was not developed by the FBI, there is no real reason to suppose it will be limited to the FBI.

Be interesting to see how it plays out now...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

It could be they unlocked it the old fashioned way, found the password written down or some other clue as to what it was.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 29, 2016, 11:53:50 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2016, 11:49:32 AM

Not really - so far as I know, the FBI method involved some exploit in the software, which Apple clearly doesn't know about, or they would fix it.

The question now is whether the FBI will share the information with Apple. Given that they hacked it with outside help suggests (although we can't be sure) that the exploit is known to other third parties.

Who else knows about?

It puts the FBI in kind of an interesting position. On the one hand, why should they help Apple, when Apple wasn't willing to help them? It is not their job to tell Apple about the flaws in their security, and if they tell Apple, Apple will certainly fix it, which means that the FBI is back to bringing court cases when it comes up in the future.

On the other hand, if the exploit puts iPhones in general at risk from anyone who knows the hack, there is a larger concern, even a potential national security concern. And since the exploit was not developed by the FBI, there is no real reason to suppose it will be limited to the FBI.

Be interesting to see how it plays out now...

Actually, though I can't find it now, I know last week there were a few articles about something put in place by Obama administration that could potentially force government bodies to let tech companies know the details of flaws. Alas, as I can't quickly find anything in google, not sure how legit that was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

The CNN article said that it would be taken up by the FBI with the NSC. Basically, if it is determined that the flaw represents a potential threat to peoples phones in general, the admin will tell the FBI to let Apple know about it so they can close it.

I wonder if this will be used behind the scenes to attempt some kind of quid pro quo accommodation on future access?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: frunk on March 29, 2016, 12:06:36 PM
It could be they unlocked it the old fashioned way, found the password written down or some other clue as to what it was.
Or maybe they knew how to do it all along, but wanted to establish a precedent for the future.  :ph34r:

grumbler

Good point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2016, 04:03:57 PM

Good point.

No the FBI cracked it. They are the bestest.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, they cracked it alright.  When they dropped it on the floor.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2016, 07:52:34 PM
Yeah, they cracked it alright.  When they dropped it on the floor.

... and then blamed it on the local police.

Bayraktar!