News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Immigration Option Question

Started by alfred russel, February 22, 2016, 02:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

There is this woman I sort of know from Indonesia (of Chinese descent) who has lived in the US for 16 years but apparently needs to go back. I was speaking with her over the weekend, and this is what she told me:

-she came here for college 16 years ago
-she has been through a few different careers, most recently as a pastry chef
-her last employer would not sponsor a continued work visa for her
-her work visa expired in December
-she no longer has a valid visa and she can't do things like renew her driver's license (her license has expired)
-she lost her job when her visa expired
-she has gotten ill at night at the thought of having to go back to indonesia because she has been here so long

So...does she have options, or is she totally screwed and needs to go back to Indonesia?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Donald Trump would send her to Mexico.

Other than marrying a citizen, I don't know if she has any options. Does seem like someone getting repeated work visa renewals should get a green card at some point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2016, 02:44:56 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 22, 2016, 02:41:19 PM
Marry her.  :D

:yes:

My first instinct was to add to the bottom, "Btw guys, I'm not marrying her". Maybe I should have gone with that.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2016, 03:09:59 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 22, 2016, 02:44:56 PM

:yes:

My first instinct was to add to the bottom, "Btw guys, I'm not marrying her". Maybe I should have gone with that.  :hmm:

Awwwwww. Well there goes our heartwarming rom-com.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2016, 02:45:39 PM

Ah I see a hilarious and heart warming rom-com in the works!

This is Languish. More like a sordid police procedural.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Green card marriage, go off the grid, hire a lawyer to stall for a while.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2016, 03:13:14 PM
Green card marriage, go off the grid, hire a lawyer to stall for a while.

I think she is screwed then. She went to Georgia Tech and was going the actuarial path for a while before becoming a pastry chef at a super fancy establishment (who would not support a visa for her). I don't think she will do well off the grid--she isn't going to do day labor. I also suspect she is out of money.

DGuller

The fact that someone can be here for 16 years on a work visa and still be on very shaky ground is an abomination.  But unfortunately it's not at all unexpected.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on February 22, 2016, 03:36:37 PM
The fact that someone can be here for 16 years on a work visa and still be on very shaky ground is an abomination.  But unfortunately it's not at all unexpected.

Yeah, that seems overly harsh. 10 years of legal residence grants you citizenship over here.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned