Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

LaCroix

because states rely on federal funding in the modern era. withholding all of it to compel a state to do the federal government's bidding violates the spirit of the constitution.

mongers

A week certainly is a long time in politics.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on July 01, 2016, 06:12:32 PM
because states rely on federal funding in the modern era. withholding all of it to compel a state to do the federal government's bidding violates the spirit of the constitution.

Well, yeah, sure, I'll agree that the Federal government withholding funds in order to force the states to do things the Federal government itself doesn't have the power to do violates the spirit of the Constitution--but the Feds actually do that, and the courts haven't stopped them, and I don't know of any case law that says that there's a limit to the extent to which the Feds can do it.  My point, though, was that the Federal government could simply end all Federal funding going to the states, which I thought you were saying would be unconstitutional.  But on re-reading your post, I see that you were talking about the Feds cutting off funds to a state, not stopping funding to all states.

jimmy olsen

What the fuck Brits? Is this actually a thing over there?  How the hell can it be legal?

http://www.newsweek.com/man-who-must-tell-police-24-hours-sex-threatens-hunger-strike-476494?piano_d=1
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 01, 2016, 09:49:41 PM

Well, yeah, sure, I'll agree that the Federal government withholding funds in order to force the states to do things the Federal government itself doesn't have the power to do violates the spirit of the Constitution--but the Feds actually do that, and the courts haven't stopped them, and I don't know of any case law that says that there's a limit to the extent to which the Feds can do it.  My point, though, was that the Federal government could simply end all Federal funding going to the states, which I thought you were saying would be unconstitutional.  But on re-reading your post, I see that you were talking about the Feds cutting off funds to a state, not stopping funding to all states.

Does it violate the spirit of the constitution when a state withholds federal funds so it doesn't have to do the federal government's bidding?

mongers

I haven't even bother to read the news about Brexit or anything else today, so far; I'd appreciate if the politicians end this limbo and set out the direction 'we' are now heading in.

edit:
Am I the only one who thinks Gove is just a caricature of a Tory slim ball?

It's almost as if he's decided there really are real world lessons to be learned from his viewing of 'Game of Thrones'. :blink:

Sheilbh

I think Gove is one of the more interesting Tories. Adopted by Labour supporting parents, attended a state school until he won a scholarship to an independent, went on strike as a journalist for several months in the nineties and was rejected from the Conservative research department (where Osborne and Cameron worked for a while) for being 'insufficiently conservative' - though given that Osborne and Cameron were working there I wonder if the real issue was he was insufficiently posh.

He's also wholly unsuitable to be Prime Minister :lol:

But then my archetypal Tory slimeball is Osborne <_< :x
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2016, 08:44:45 AM
Quote from: dps on July 01, 2016, 09:49:41 PM

Does it violate the spirit of the constitution when a state withholds federal funds so it doesn't have to do the federal government's bidding?

Feel free to enlighten me, but I'm not aware of any situation in which a state gives funding to the Federal government, and therefore has an opportunity to withhold funds from the Feds. 

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 02, 2016, 09:07:40 AM
I think Gove is one of the more interesting Tories. Adopted by Labour supporting parents, attended a state school until he won a scholarship to an independent, went on strike as a journalist for several months in the nineties and was rejected from the Conservative research department (where Osborne and Cameron worked for a while) for being 'insufficiently conservative' - though given that Osborne and Cameron were working there I wonder if the real issue was he was insufficiently posh.

May be that's why he has decided to backstab Boris and go for the PM seat himself? Doesn't look like a guy you could have as your face in an election, but now he only needs to ride the fear of unelected officials running the country, and become the unelected leader on it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 02, 2016, 09:13:06 AMMay be that's why he has decided to backstab Boris and go for the PM seat himself? Doesn't look like a guy you could have as your face in an election, but now he only needs to ride the fear of unelected officials running the country, and become the unelected leader on it.
I think it's reasonable to take Gove at his word when he says that as he watched Boris's leadership bid take shape he realised he wasn't fit to run the country - no assurance, no structures etc. That doesn't sound implausible with Boris.

Also apparently Gove kept in touch with Osborne throughout the campaign and I think this has his fingertips all over it. This feels like revenge for Boris destroying Cameron and Osborne's hopes of succeeding him.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on July 02, 2016, 09:10:39 AM
Feel free to enlighten me, but I'm not aware of any situation in which a state gives funding to the Federal government, and therefore has an opportunity to withhold funds from the Feds.

Plenty of states are withholding Federal funds from its citizens, specifically to not do the Federal government's bidding.   Does that violate the "spirit of the constitution" as well, or is this "spirit" thingy just a one-way street?

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 02, 2016, 09:07:40 AM

:D

Though nothing to stop the Tories have more than arch slimeball.  :bowler:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 01, 2016, 05:24:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2016, 03:36:41 PM
I'm having a very difficult time imagining Congress having the ability to opt out of Constitutional restrictions on its own powers just because it says so.

You don't have to imagine it, since it's in the constitution for you to read about link.

Congress has the constitutional power to set the limits of Supreme Court appellate jurisdiction - that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended or appropriate as a mechanism for circumventing particular decisions

Once the Court has spoken on a matter, it has spoken.  The other branches can always in theory elect to ignore the Court.  Stripping jurisdiction after the fact doesn't make that more legitimate though
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Tories apparently warning that May has the zeal of a convert and will do things 'no true Brexiteer' would do.

Normandy, you have been warned...
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 02, 2016, 09:17:30 AM
Quote from: dps on July 02, 2016, 09:10:39 AM

Plenty of states are withholding Federal funds from its citizens, specifically to not do the Federal government's bidding.   Does that violate the "spirit of the constitution" as well, or is this "spirit" thingy just a one-way street?

The states don't exist to do the Federal governments bidding, so no.  But again, enlighten me on the states withholding funds.