Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Hamilcar

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2016, 10:12:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2016, 10:06:08 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2016, 10:01:12 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 28, 2016, 09:54:39 AM
Suisse & Japan are racist.

He always wants to leave where he is. Now that they won't let him stay(maybe), he's looking for ways so that he can stay.

How is Switzerland racist?

QuoteRegular naturalisation
Foreigners with no direct blood ties to Switzerland through either birth or marriage must currently live in the country for at least 12 years before they can apply for citizenship. Years spent in the country between ages ten and 20 count double. A new law reducing the number of years of residence from 12 to 10 was passed by Parliament in June 2014 and is expected to go into effect at the beginning of 2017.
The person must be well integrated, familiar with customs and traditions, law abiding, and pose no threat to internal or external security.
The State Secretariat for Migration will then "green light" an applicant's request to begin the naturalisation process but that does not mean citizenship is certain. Rather, cantons and municipalities have their own requirements that must be met. One canton, for example, might require applicants to live for two years in the region while another might require a decade. For more on the process, please visit the State Secretariat for Migration.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/becoming-a-citizen/29288376

So... where is the racism there?  Or are we expanding the term "racist" to include a bunch of other things we don't like?

I fail to see what's wrong with that.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2016, 10:20:33 AM
All of Europe can unite in disliking Switzerland.

You mean, unite in jealousy.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2016, 10:41:58 AM
Corban loses no confidence vote, 81%-19%. He has no intention to resign.

I bet he's secretly wishing he could have the 81% shot.

Zanza

Brexit has created some fallout in Switzerland as well. The Swiss also had a referendum a while ago where they decided to limit freedom of movement. They have to implement that by early next year to stay within their own constitutional limits. Implementing it would violate their treaty obligations from their so-called "bilaterals" with the EU, which means they would have to cancel the treaty that allowed freedom of movement. However, that treaty has a clause that all "bilaterals" between the EU and Switzerland will be cancelled in that case. So now they need to convince the EU that their law to set annual limits to immigration is acceptable for the EU. However, right now, they are at the end of the queue as Barrack Obama would say. Everybody will only think about the British now. As a new treaty with Switzerland would have to be ratified by each EU member, their time is running out fast.

Zanza

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 28, 2016, 12:08:39 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2016, 10:41:58 AM
Corban loses no confidence vote, 81%-19%. He has no intention to resign.

I bet he's secretly wishing he could have the 81% shot.
Sending them to Gulag would probably be enough.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on June 28, 2016, 11:45:27 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 28, 2016, 11:40:53 AM
That £3 supporter thing and the election rules enabled Labour to be subverted by communists and their fellow travellers.

It made no difference. Corbyn won a big majority amongst "proper" members as well.

Can't they, you know, unelect him? They have a little time yet before the general election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

The grassroots members probably still like him. It's just his fellow parliamentarians that hate thim.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 28, 2016, 12:33:49 PM
The grassroots members probably still like him. It's just his fellow parliamentarians that hate thim.

I thought Gups just said they had turned against him as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Hamilcar

Quote from: Zanza on June 28, 2016, 12:29:06 PM
Brexit has created some fallout in Switzerland as well. The Swiss also had a referendum a while ago where they decided to limit freedom of movement. They have to implement that by early next year to stay within their own constitutional limits. Implementing it would violate their treaty obligations from their so-called "bilaterals" with the EU, which means they would have to cancel the treaty that allowed freedom of movement. However, that treaty has a clause that all "bilaterals" between the EU and Switzerland will be cancelled in that case. So now they need to convince the EU that their law to set annual limits to immigration is acceptable for the EU. However, right now, they are at the end of the queue as Barrack Obama would say. Everybody will only think about the British now. As a new treaty with Switzerland would have to be ratified by each EU member, their time is running out fast.

The EU clearly isn't going to be in the mood for any compromise, so Switzerland will have to suck it up and muddle through. We'll find a way. Compromise is good.

Valmy

Surely it would be easier for Switzerland just to give themselves an extension than have it all fall apart from this self-imposed time limit. I mean this is not a normal internal policy since it involves foreign affairs and shouldn't be bound the same structure.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2016, 12:59:16 PM
Surely it would be easier for Switzerland just to give themselves an extension than have it all fall apart from this self-imposed time limit. I mean this is not a normal internal policy since it involves foreign affairs and shouldn't be bound the same structure.

It's somewhat tricky to get an "extension" for procedural reasons, but I am sure some way will be found.

Iormlund

Quote from: Hamilcar on June 28, 2016, 12:57:52 PM

The EU clearly isn't going to be in the mood for any compromise, so Switzerland will have to suck it up and muddle through. We'll find a way. Compromise is good.

Why would the EU agree to a compromise?

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2016, 10:35:45 AM
About 20-30% of the European Parliament is anti-EU in one way or another.

And it works the same way as Parnellites or the SNP in the Commons worked.

This is a major problem with increasing the democratic legitimacy of the EU--the major method of doing that seems to be increasing the powers of the parliament.

But a significant portion (though minority) of Europe seems to be anti EU, and the part that is not is less motivated to vote in European elections.

This isn't just the case that proportional representation is getting UKIP seats in the EU parliament that they don't get in national elections. In the last EU parliamentary elections, UKIP got more votes (and seats) than any other British Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)

It is hard to establish a working legislature when a significant portion of the legislature wants to blow the whole thing up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on June 28, 2016, 01:05:49 PM

Because if Switzerland just dumps all their treaties out of some kind of Constitutional obligation wouldn't that, you know, be bad for everybody else?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Iormlund on June 28, 2016, 01:05:49 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on June 28, 2016, 12:57:52 PM

Sorry, I meant, a compromise in Switzerland that lets both sides declare victory while free movement remains.