Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Agelastus

I feel strangely conflicted.

I never expected leave to win, right up until a couple of hours ago, and Sterling and the Markets have dropped about twice as much as I thought they would as well. So I should feel shock and fear.

On the other hand, the referendum I've wanted since Maastricht has finally happened; and the side I've been on for at least a decade has won. So I should feel happy.

Yet really I feel neither; I just feel tired and uncertain. And to an extent, directionless.

:hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 12:09:16 AM
Any seasoned investor knows big single day dips are simply times to buy. I firmly believe it was in Britain's economic interests to remain, but I also believe Britain is fundamentally a strong economy and that will be ultimately born out. Times of change cause chaos and short term economic trouble.

What is there to like about the British economy besides finance and higher education?  If the City departs en masse Britain is well and truly fucked.

Phillip V

Quote from: Agelastus on June 24, 2016, 12:14:52 AM

I never expected leave to win, right up until a couple of hours ago, and Sterling and the Markets have dropped about twice as much as I thought they would as well. So I should feel shock and fear.

On the other hand, the referendum I've wanted since Maastricht has finally happened; and the side I've been on for at least a decade has won. So I should feel happy.

Yet really I feel neither; I just feel tired and uncertain. And to an extent, directionless.

Drink beer and masturbate yourself to sleep.

Barrister

Any seasoned investor knows big single day dips are simply times to buy. I firmly believe it was in Britain's economic interests to remain, but I also believe Britain is fundamentally a strong economy and that will be ultimately born out. Times of change cause chaos and short term economic trouble.

As someone going to the UK in August, I'm planning on buying pounds tomorrow.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2016, 12:15:35 AM

What is there to like about the British economy besides finance and higher education?  If the City departs en masse Britain is well and truly fucked.

Invest in the monarchy.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2016, 11:50:43 PM
I think you're over-egging the pudding here.

No doubt this is momentous.  But not compared to the Berlin Wall.  And as for Putin... as long as this doesn't result in the demise of NATO (and no reason to think it will) I think it has little impact.

If the UK leaves, there's a wholesale European realignment coming.

If some sort of waffling prevents the UK from leaving, then yeah, too many eggs. If they leave the implications are pretty big. I don't think the EU is going to limp along in its current form, and I see a likely surge in alt right and anti-EU sentiment across Europe resulting.

Perhaps you're right. I hope you're right. But  Brexit is a big fucking deal for Europe. The continuation and stability of the EU has been the one solid constant of the European political scene since WWII. That era looks to be over.

Agelastus

Quote from: Phillip V on June 24, 2016, 12:16:07 AM

Drink beer and masturbate yourself to sleep.

:D

I very nearly put, "and in need of a drink despite the hour" as part of that post.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

citizen k

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2016, 12:17:17 AMThe continuation and stability of the EU has been the one solid constant of the European political scene since WWII. That era looks to be over.

Greece and then the refugee crisis told me that era was over.

Jacob

I wish you joy in your victory. Personally I'm having a drink.

Tomorrow it's time to start picking up whatever pieces there are and watch as the UK political establishment faces the new reality.

Jacob

Quote from: citizen k on June 24, 2016, 12:20:06 AM
Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2016, 12:17:17 AMThe continuation and stability of the EU has been the one solid constant of the European political scene since WWII. That era looks to be over.

Greece and then the refugee crisis told me that era was over.

I saw it as "significant cracks were evident," but not irreversible. This pretty much is.

Liep

Who are Britons going to blame now that Brussels is no longer there?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

citizen k

Quote from: Liep on June 24, 2016, 12:21:43 AM

They'll always have Westminster.  :bowler:

Agelastus

Quote from: Liep on June 24, 2016, 12:21:43 AM

"The wrong type of snow"?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 10:42:29 PM
I think I'm most interested now to see Europe's reaction.

So, when does the Calais jungle move to Dover?
No more British duplicity.
UK and France bilateral treaty, unlike the damn Touquet agreement (British border on French soil), also military affairs, though I suspect they will not be too affected.
British retirees in France, Spain and Portugal panicking? Forced to learn the local language if they are to stay? A stay will be costlier for now on.

De Gaulle vindicated, making fun of Pompidou in the Elysian Fields.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2016, 12:14:22 AM

So I should send my money to the UK today? It won't drop more?

Only a fool a) would predict if it'll drop lower or not (it likely will at some point) and b) we know that it will rebound and tomorrow's prices will be very low relative to fundamental value.