Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Jacob

The alt right's biggest victory so far. Unless some sort of magic waffle kludge an undo along the way, I reckon this will be as huge as the fall of the Berlin Wall in terms of repercussions.

Putin must be well pleased.

Razgovory

Well, Britain may have just gotten Donald Trump elected.  Thanks a lot guys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 23, 2016, 11:26:40 PM
Quote from: Drakken on June 23, 2016, 11:24:55 PM
Sinn Fein openly daydreaming about the Brexit leading to the reunion of Ireland.  :lmfao:

Why not? This throws the game wide open.

Yeah - it's unlikely, but not impossible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 23, 2016, 11:45:02 PM
The alt right's biggest victory so far. Unless some sort of magic waffle kludge an undo along the way, I reckon this will be as huge as the fall of the Berlin Wall in terms of repercussions.

I think you're over-egging the pudding here.

No doubt this is momentous.  But not compared to the Berlin Wall.  And as for Putin... as long as this doesn't result in the demise of NATO (and no reason to think it will) I think it has little impact.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 11:48:09 PM

How.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Phillip V on June 23, 2016, 11:52:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 11:48:09 PM

How.

Global recession.  Recessions do not favor incumbent parties.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2016, 09:44:10 PM
Man, this night is going to have major consequences for the world order.

Yeah no kidding.

I'm getting more curious about the money Putin has allegedly funnelled to various alt right groups in Europe.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2016, 11:50:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 23, 2016, 11:45:02 PM

I think you're over-egging the pudding here.

No doubt this is momentous.  But not compared to the Berlin Wall.  And as for Putin... as long as this doesn't result in the demise of NATO (and no reason to think it will) I think it has little impact.

Who knows how many dominoes will fall.  This is bad.  Really bad.  If the EU falls apart, why not NATO?

Drakken

It is now official, the win threshold was reached by the Leave side.

Admiral Yi

So how does it feel to be 11% poorer than you were 4 hours ago?

Drakken

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2016, 12:04:49 AM
So how does it feel to be 11% poorer than you were 4 hours ago?

Well lighter, thank you.

OttoVonBismarck

Any seasoned investor knows big single day dips are simply times to buy. I firmly believe it was in Britain's economic interests to remain, but I also believe Britain is fundamentally a strong economy and that will be ultimately born out. Times of change cause chaos and short term economic trouble.

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2016, 12:09:16 AM
Any seasoned investor knows big single day dips are simply times to buy. I firmly believe it was in Britain's economic interests to remain, but I also believe Britain is fundamentally a strong economy and that will be ultimately born out. Times of change cause chaos and short term economic trouble.

So I should send my money to the UK today? It won't drop more?
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 11:59:02 PMWho knows how many dominoes will fall.  This is bad.  Really bad.  If the EU falls apart, why not NATO?

I'll guess that EU will be fine in the long term. if there's another referendum in another major country, more remain voters will actually vote rather than stay home. this time, I think too many assumed the referendum would fail and got complacent. this, plus if britain's economic fallout doesn't bounce back after awhile, it demonstrates to everyone a concrete example of just what they're risking by voting exit