Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 03:57:50 AM
There's already a weird false flag/conspiracy wing to the Brexiteers.

You don't say

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 21, 2016, 01:57:12 AM
One thing to bear in mind is that the EU crisis continues even if the UK votes remain. It seems that the French, for example, have an even lower opinion of it than we do.

With all due respect, I believe you are mixing up two things. Brexit is even more popular in France than in England, and than in the UK of course.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 03:57:50 AMI've had numerous cabbies tell me they think the vote'll be rigged.

Since when are cabbies a reliable bellweather group?  :P Over here the stereotype of cabbies (at least the Madrid ones) is that of a bunch of angry, knee jerking right wingers bordering with outright fascism, not exactly salt of the earth working class, I mean.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 21, 2016, 04:59:41 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 03:57:50 AMI've had numerous cabbies tell me they think the vote'll be rigged.

Since when are cabbies a reliable bellweather group?  :P Over here the stereotype of cabbies (at least the Madrid ones) is that of a bunch of angry, knee jerking right wingers bordering with outright fascism, not exactly salt of the earth working class, I mean.

Worse than Torrente?  :D

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 21, 2016, 05:13:59 AM

Worse than Torrente?  :D

Roughly in that ballpark, Torrente is a caricature of that stereotype.  :P

Sheilbh

Now what in that description makes you think they aren't a representative sample of Brexiteers? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 05:29:25 AM

Now what in that description makes you think they aren't a representative sample of Brexiteers? :P

It's very difficult to know when it's you speaking.  :P I never know if you're one side, the other, both at the same time or none of them.  :lol:

Monoriu

There is a saying in Hong Kong that, when in doubt, always listen to Li Ka Shing :contract:

QuoteHong Kong's richest man stepped up his calls for Britons to vote in favor of staying in the European Union as the world braces for the outcome of this week's vote.

"If Brexit happens, it will be detrimental to the U.K. and it will have a negative impact to the whole of Europe," CK Hutchison Holding Ltd. Chairman Li Ka-shing told Bloomberg Television's Angie Lau in a wide-ranging interview, his first with international media since 2012. "Of course I hope that the U.K. doesn't leave the EU."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-20/billionaire-li-ka-shing-warns-against-brexit-as-referendum-looms

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 03:57:50 AM
There's already a weird false flag/conspiracy wing to the Brexiteers.

I've had numerous cabbies tell me they think the vote'll be rigged.

We're all Scottish now :(
Conspiracy theories seem really common amongst them.
So many people dismissing the opinion of every single person who has spoke in favour of Europe as "well they would say that wouldn't they, they're getting paid by corrupt brussels to do so"

This is a real :bleeding: point for me. The leavers love the buzzword corrupt. I've not seen any evidence for the EU being especially corrupt though.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I did love the accusations that Simon Schama was another academic corrupted by EU funding.

Also the Remainers comments following the Buzzfeed story that Paul Dacre gets EU funding for his Scottish estate but is still editor of the Mail:
BAD MAN!!!!
BAD PRINCIPLED MAN!!??
GOOD MAN???
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Well they nobbled Jeremy Clarkson, clearly nobody is safe from the corrupting influence of EU money.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2016, 05:48:14 AM
This is a real :bleeding: point for me. The leavers love the buzzword corrupt. I've not seen any evidence for the EU being especially corrupt though.

Changing your own self-imposed rules so that you can pass your Accounts isn't exactly a good sign, though.

However, I agree that it's not especially corrupt compared to the average European Nation-State. That's not the problem with the EU though.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 02:14:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 21, 2016, 12:39:55 AM
According to bookie sites, Remain has a higher chance than Hillary becoming the next POTUS - so I am not sure why people are freaking out so much.
And Leave has a higher chance than an outright Conservative majority.

Professor Curtice (:wub:) thinks the bookies are underestimating it. He puts the chance of Leave winning at 40-45% which sounds about right.

Yes it's nearly neck and neck, the result could be swayed by all sorts of issues or other news in the last two days.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

David Beckham's come out for Remain and Posh has got into a public row with the Leave campaign.

Truly, not the referendum campaign we need but the one we deserve.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 21, 2016, 09:57:06 AM
David Beckham's come out for Remain and Posh has got into a public row with the Leave campaign.

Truly, not the referendum campaign we need but the one we deserve.

What's the general rundown of celebrities for each side? Surely that's something the tabloids must also care about.  :P