Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2016, 07:05:51 AM
The UKIP flotilla has now reached Parliament and is blaring out The Great Escape. A film in which most of the escapees die...

:lol:

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2016, 07:01:48 AM
There is apparently also a flotilla of pro-remain boats.

Could we have a naval battle plz?!

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2016, 07:22:06 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2016, 07:01:48 AM
There is apparently also a flotilla of pro-remain boats.

Could we have a naval battle plz?!

With "reds" vs. "blue"?

Sheilbh

Someone on Twitter's already done it. I'll post later.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

One of the interesting/puzzling parts for me that I am pretty sure that Europeans living outside of the UK had ZERO idea that leaving the EU is such a desire for so many Brits. It's a fringe opinion in most if not all EU states and here we are witnessing a lot of traction for it and a very decent chance for Leave winning.
It seems to have totally blindsided European public opinion.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Gups on June 15, 2016, 03:35:25 AM
It's not that so much. More that middle class people (like me) benefit from cheap Polish builders, child care etc while working class people see their wages stagnate.

Wage stagnation is a much broader problem impacting working class people over the entirety of the developed country world, not just EU members.  If the belief is that exit will address that problem, it is mistaken.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2016, 10:22:14 AM
It's not that so much. More that middle class people (like me) benefit from cheap Polish builders, child care etc while working class people see their wages stagnate.

Wage stagnation is a much broader problem impacting working class people over the entirety of the developed country world, not just EU members.  If the belief is that exit will address that problem, it is mistaken.

:yes:

Wages in Spain have been rocketing downwards for years, and we're actually losing population nowadays. In particular among youngsters, who are the ones that would compete for low wage jobs.

Valmy

And the only reason they are not stagnating in the developing world is because they were already earning less than a dollar a day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on June 15, 2016, 11:57:21 AM

Wages in Spain have been rocketing downwards for years, and we're actually losing population nowadays. In particular among youngsters, who are the ones that would compete for low wage jobs.

When are your old people going to retire? I thought Euros all retired at 55 yet there are never any jobs for the kids.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2016, 12:19:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 15, 2016, 11:57:21 AM

When are your old people going to retire? I thought Euros all retired at 55 yet there are never any jobs for the kids.

Update your stereotypes. Retirement ages are being raised, in Spain it's being raised to 67 IIRC.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on June 15, 2016, 12:37:49 PM
Update your stereotypes. Retirement ages are being raised, in Spain it's being raised to 67 IIRC.

The poor youth of Spain :weep:

Zanza

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2016, 07:33:51 AM
One of the interesting/puzzling parts for me that I am pretty sure that Europeans living outside of the UK had ZERO idea that leaving the EU is such a desire for so many Brits. It's a fringe opinion in most if not all EU states and here we are witnessing a lot of traction for it and a very decent chance for Leave winning.
It seems to have totally blindsided European public opinion.
Britons being very eurosceptic and not participating in all European integration projects seems to be reasonably well known in Germany and Brexit is regularly in the media here. I just don't think Germans care much. The effect on the average German is probably not big either way.