Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 02, 2022, 02:01:58 AMThe Cambridge comedians are a lot more fun than the Oxford ones running the country though; even if they are still coming from a position of privilege  :D

:D

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

QuoteTory chair Jake Berry says people facing higher fuel bills can cut consumption or get better job

In his interview with Sophy Ridge this morning on Sky, Jake Berry, the Conservative party chair, also said that, if people were having difficulty paying their fuel bills, they could either cut their consumption or get a better job. He was making a point about the need for the government to economise, and he said that was how households worked too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Surprised he didn't suggest taking on a second job or :x "side hustle"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

"Why do you insist on being poor? Just stop being poor already."

Syt

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/oct/01/king-charles-abandons-plans-to-attend-cop27-following-liz-trusss-advice

QuoteKing Charles abandons plans to attend Cop27 'following Liz Truss's advice'

Prime minister reportedly raised objections to him going during personal audience at Buckingham Palace

King Charles III has reportedly abandoned plans to attend and deliver a speech at the Cop27 climate change summit on the advice of Liz Truss.

The monarch, a veteran campaigner on environmental issues, had been invited to the 27th UN climate change conference in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, next month.

But the prime minister is understood to have raised objections during a personal audience at Buckingham Palace last month, according to the Sunday Times

Buckingham Palace has confirmed King Charles III will not attend the summit.

A senior royal source told the newspaper: "It is no mystery that the King was invited to go there. He had to think very carefully about what steps to take for his first overseas tour, and he is not going to be attending Cop."

They said the decision was made on the government's advice and was "entirely in the spirit of being ever-mindful as King that he acts on government advice". However, it remains "under active discussion" about how King Charles will make his presence felt at Cop27, which runs from 6 to 18 November.

Another source said the new monarch would be "personally disappointed" to miss the conference and was "all lined up to go", with several engagements planned around his Sustainable Markets Initiative (SMI), which aims to persuade businesses to invest in environmentally friendly initiatives.

"The Queen gave an entirely non-political address at Cop last year ... it sounds like he is not being given the choice. That is an error of judgment on the part of the government," the Sunday Times was told.

The 73-year-old has played an active role in previous environmental summits. The King delivered the opening speech at Cop21 in Paris in 2015, calling for a "vast military-style campaign" to fight climate change and urging world leaders to commit "trillions, not billions, of dollars".

He also convened world leaders and businesses to encourage them to sign up to the landmark Paris climate agreement before the summit.

Last year, King Charles III delivered a speech at the opening ceremony of Cop26 in Glasgow, calling on world leaders to adopt a "warlike footing" to deal with the threat of climate change.

In the run-up to Cop26, he invited the US special envoy on climate, John Kerry, to Clarence House in London, in stark contrast to the government, which failed to send a minister when Kerry made a major speech at Kew

The then Prince of Wales laid out the Terra Carta, or Earth charter, of environmental goals.

His work on rainforests and species conservation has also been taken up by his son Prince William.

During the platinum jubilee celebrations in June, the new Prince of Wales delivered a speech after pictures of the planet were projected on to Buckingham Palace.

William said at the time: "As I watch those extraordinary images, it does make me think of all the monumental and pioneering work of so many visionary environmentalists that have gone before.

"I'm so proud that my grandfather and my father have been part of those efforts."

The summit would have been King Charles's first overseas trip as sovereign.

It is standard protocol for the monarch to seek the guidance of the government before accepting an invitation overseas, a source told the Guardian.

A No 10 spokeswoman said: "We do not comment on meetings between the prime minister and the King."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Elizabeth's first pm was Churchill. Chuck gets truss. He's off to a rough start
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

And now u-turned on scrapping 45% top tax rate
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Geoffrey, a middle-aged British tourist on his first visit to California finds the red light district and enters a large brothel. The madam asks him to be seated and sends over a young lady to entertain him.
They sit and talk, frolic a little, giggle a bit, drink a bit, and she sits on his lap. He whispers in her ear and she gasps and runs away! Seeing this, the madam sends over a more experienced lady to entertain the gentleman.

They sit and talk, frolic a little, giggle a bit, drink a bit, and she sits on his lap. He whispers in her ear, and she too screams, "No!" and walks quickly away.

The madam is surprised that this ordinary looking man has asked for something so outrageous that her two girls will have nothing to do with him. She decides that only her most experienced lady, Lola, will do. Lola has never said no, and it's not likely anything would surprise her. So the madam sends her over to Geoffrey's. They sit and talk, frolic a little, giggle a bit, drink a bit, and she sits on his lap. He whispers in her ear and she screams, "NO WAY, BUDDY!" and smacks him as hard as she can and leaves.

Madam is by now absolutely intrigued, having seen nothing like this in all her years of operating a brothel. She hasn't done the bedroom work herself for a long time, but she's sure she has said yes to everything a man could possibly ask for. She just has to find out what this man wants that has made her girls so angry. Besides she sees a chance to teach her employees a lesson.

So she goes over to Geoffrey and says that she's the best in the house and is available. She sits and talks with him. They frolic, giggle, drink and then she sits in his lap.

He leans forwards and whispers in her ear, "Can I pay in British Pounds please?"
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2022, 02:42:31 AMAnd now u-turned on scrapping 45% top tax rate

She threw him under the bus, rate rise nothing to do with her, this is the first time she's heard of it.

Zanza

The 45% top rate tax is apparently only 2 bn of the 45 bn tax cuts, so while it makes it look a bit better, it does not change much about the long term fiscal position of the British state.

A PM that disowns her chancellor within three weeks looks weak...

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on October 03, 2022, 07:26:13 AMThe 45% top rate tax is apparently only 2 bn of the 45 bn tax cuts, so while it makes it look a bit better, it does not change much about the long term fiscal position of the British state.

A PM that disowns her chancellor within three weeks looks weak...

Come on Zanza, she's Maggie Thatcher incarnate, nothing else matters. :bowler:

Richard Hakluyt

Zanza

QuoteKwasi Kwarteng blames 'pressure' of Queen's death for botched mini-budget
:lol: That's a bit silly.

Edit: Comment I read: "He blamed the wrong Liz"

The Larch

Solmyr