Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Just watched the tour of Lulu Lytle's home and it is a little bit too busy for me. I think I'd draw the line at wallpapering the ceiling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtW6fgrUIMI
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on January 24, 2022, 03:27:14 PM
Maximalism.  :x

I mean Victorian is a little much but man I get tired of everybody having their house painted white. Just at least paint a few rooms another color. And I predict I will die before I ever see wall paper used in earnest again :lol:

But in the US almost everything is designed to sell and minimalism is better marketing. When I built my house they were basically "Ok which shade of beige would you like your interior painted?"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2022, 04:58:08 AM
Wait, you guys don't use wall paper? :huh:

Well maybe I shouldn't speak for the whole US. At least in central Texas it is really rare these days. Back when I was a kid it was all over the place.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Now that a civil servant has completed a full investigation, the police will now also investigate.

Apparently, according to Dick, they don't do retroactive investigation of offences. I mean, they are the police why would they. Unless there is evidence i.e. when their work has already been done for them.

The Larch

For me wall paper screams "old people live here". I don't think it's even sold in normal shops.

I think my parents used to have it in the house while I was growing up, but at some point when I was still quite little they took it off and it was white walls from then onwards.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

My girlfriend insists on every wall in our house being white.
It is a pain. I don't want to live in a hospital.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

We built out house with wooden floors and ceilings with wall paper on every wall. Very much out of sync with our time.

Tamas

Lol and now of course the Gray report cannot possibly be made public until the police investigates the parties held in the building guarded by them.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on January 25, 2022, 06:02:44 AM
Lol and now of course the Gray report cannot possibly be made public until the police investigates the parties held in the building guarded by them.
I don't think that changes much though. They'd already said Gray report was not going to be released they'd already confirmed the full report and underlying evidence were not going to be public, just the summary. Now it won't include that.

I don't want to be too cynical about this - but it feels like it will inevitably leak and that saying you're only putting out at most a short summary of an explosive report about the PM's conduct, but there is a full report with evidence is the civil service version of "x footballer issues 'come and get me' plea" :lol: Especially in this story where there's been so many leaks that have been so well timed etc.

Also I get that all Johnson has is to play for time, but I'm not 100% sure that "I can't discuss this in public because the police are investigating" is going to help as much as he'd like. From a purely partisan perspective I'm perfectly happy to see Johnson try to cling on with ongoing roiling party divisions and fights. I think the longer he's there the more damage he's doing to potential successors and the party.

Separately William Wragg said he'd spoken to the police about his whipping allegations.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2022, 05:32:04 AM

For me wall paper screams "old people live here". I don't think it's even sold in normal shops.

I think my parents used to have it in the house while I was growing up, but at some point when I was still quite little they took it off and it was white walls from then onwards.

Same here.