Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 24, 2022, 01:56:15 PM
Chintz?  :huh:
Heavily patterned - mainly floral - fabrics or wallpapers. Lots of them = chintzy. It became very unfashionable/associated with elderly people in the 90s when minimalism came in. But now we're back at maximalism, thank God.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 24, 2022, 01:52:45 PM
A cross between a belle epoque Parisian brothel and a British 1970s high street Indian restaurant  :cool:

I can't imagine what Sheilbh is complaining about  :P

Yeah, too much beard on the wall paintings for even an orientalising Belle époque brothel.  :P

Sheilbh

:lol: Lulu Lytle is claiming that for her it was a work event and only went into the cabinet room for the birthday party "as requested":
QuoteHenry Zeffman
@hzeffman
Spox for Lytle: "Lulu was present in Downing Street on 19 June working on the refurbishment. Lulu was not invited to any birthday celebrations for the prime minister as a guest. Lulu entered the cabinet room briefly as requested, while waiting to speak with the prime minister."
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2022, 02:42:54 PM
:lol: Lulu Lytle is claiming that for her it was a work event and only went into the cabinet room for the birthday party "as requested":
QuoteHenry Zeffman
@hzeffman
Spox for Lytle: "Lulu was present in Downing Street on 19 June working on the refurbishment. Lulu was not invited to any birthday celebrations for the prime minister as a guest. Lulu entered the cabinet room briefly as requested, while waiting to speak with the prime minister."

:lol:

Jacob

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 24, 2022, 03:03:48 PM
Who is Lulu Lytle, and why is that funny?
Lulu Lytle is the interior designer who refurbished the Number 10 flat at the cost of a couple of hundred thousand pound (paid for by a Tory donor) - which has been a separate ongoing scandal for Johnson. Although a chunk of the scandal there was because his wife was apparently moaning about the "John Lewis nightmare" left by Theresa May - and John Lewis is seen as a solidly middle class, quite expensive, slightly aspirational brand that lots of people are quite fond of.

It also turned out the PM lied or at least misled the internal investigation into that.

And "work event" is, I think, still Johnson's excuses for some of the parties he attended: he didn't realise they were parties and thought they were work events he just went to say a few words at (with tables of booze and nibbles - and, in any event, when work social events were banned).

Edit: Plus it's just a bit writer's room that Lulu Lytle is suddenly back:
QuoteMarie Le Conte
@youngvulgarian
now the wallpaper lady has been brought back, which characters from previous seasons would you like to see on the show again? I'm voting Petronella Wyatt
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 24, 2022, 01:59:57 PM
Do you people not have paint?

Seriously, on Zoom calls that people here have from home, 90% have the walls painted white, maybe there's something hanging on the wall, but that's it. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2022, 03:22:43 PM
Seriously, on Zoom calls that people here have from home, 90% have the walls painted white, maybe there's something hanging on the wall, but that's it. :D
:x :P

It's nice to have a bit of self-expression in your decor - and maximalism. I love grey walls and Scandi-ish mid-century modernism, but it's a bit meh now. So I'm all for the maximalism revival.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Jacob

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2022, 03:25:31 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 24, 2022, 03:22:43 PM
:x :P

It's nice to have a bit of self-expression in your decor

That's what I have the Kandinsky prints for. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I have white walls with some Hiroshige prints and some European 17th century prints, and some other stuff. The late Victorian boudoir look isn't really for me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!