Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Yeah. In retrospect not having a clear message on the biggest issue of the day, letting anti-semites run amok through the party, getting bolstered by the crazier fringier conspiracy theories on the left and telling anyone to the right of Corbyn that they should "fuck off and join the Tories", may not have been the best electoral strategy.

Age may be right. The exit poll is least confident in Scotland.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Agelastus on December 12, 2019, 05:10:36 PM
And there's no way that many "red wall" seats have gone - we'd have to be talking about seats that haven't voted Tory in 50 years or more.

It's a good job I didn't say I would eat my hat - I just realised my prediction concerning the "red wall" was disproved on the third result.

---

Also, does anyone know if the exit poll's predicted majority allowed for the fact that Sinn Fein MPs don't take their seats? I assume that it didn't as normal?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Yeah I'd guess they'd account for Sinn Fein.

Also worth remembering that last time the Tories did better in the North-East (and the Midlands and Wales).

By which I mean the red wall of London and the North-West might endure.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

On the bright side (as I believe Sheilbh and Richard Hakluyt agree with me here) we may actually get the Fixed-Term Parliament Act repealed with this result. Boris is certainly not a fan of it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Alan Johnson laying into Jon Lansman on ITV :w00t:

"Go back to your student politics... The working class have always been a big disappointment to Jon and his cult. Jeremy Corbyn was a disaster for Llabour - everyone knew that he couldn't lead the working class out of a paper bag and now our communities will suffer....I want this cult out of the party. I want Momentum gone...I feel really angry about this, that we persevered with Jeremy Corbyn."
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2019, 07:08:10 PM
Alan Johnson laying into Jon Lansman on ITV :w00t:

"Go back to your student politics... The working class have always been a big disappointment to Jon and his cult. Jeremy Corbyn was a disaster for Llabour - everyone knew that he couldn't lead the working class out of a paper bag and now our communities will suffer....I want this cult out of the party. I want Momentum gone...I feel really angry about this, that we persevered with Jeremy Corbyn."

Well, he's only being consistent - in 2016 he said "He is totally incompetent and incapable of being the leader of a political party and he knows it".

Will anyone listen to him this time though - Labour still have their mass membership who seem to love a "left-wing of Labour" candidate.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

I think now the fight's on.

Just need to find our Kinnock now.

Edit: Also I am a huge fan of Huw Edwards doing deep cuts on Welsh politics such as Bridgend's one term Tory MP in the 80s :lol: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 12, 2019, 07:15:16 PM
I think now the fight's on.

Just need to find our Kinnock now.

Kinnock fought and lost two elections - you probably need to jump straight to a John Smith now.

[It's a shame he never got the chance to fight a General Election as Labour leader - as a Scot, and a popular one at that, we might be looking at a very different Scottish political landscape now had he had a Blair-like run as PM.]

---------------------

No, I don't and never did support Labour - but the Tories were never going to win in 1997 after Black Friday and 18 years.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Yeah but Kinnock kept Labour in the hands of the soft and centre left which allowed Smith etc to happen.

I think we actually need to fight the hard-left back now and re-take Labour.

Flipside is, no Tory party's won 5 elections in a row and this is number 4. So....who knows....
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

An interesting tid bit about the accuracy of the exit polling from the Guardian

QuoteProf Sir John Curtice, the psephologist who leads the team that produced the exit poll, told the BBC that the poll predicted that Blyth Valley would turn Conservative. He said:

The exit poll forecast that the Conservatives would narrowly win Blyth Valley with a 15-point drop in the Labour vote, and we had a 15-point drop in the Labour vote and the Tories narrowly won Blyth Valley.

He added that the 18-point drop for Labour in Sunderland South was "also anticipated". He went on:

Do not be surprised, particularly when we get further south and we get to much more pro-remain constituencies, that we do not see spectacular advances by the Conservatives.

But in the north of England, in leave areas, in working-class seats, the Labour party does seem to be in serious trouble.

Curtice said he thought the the broad picture provided by the exit poll "may be right", but he said the figures for Scotland were "the bit about this poll about which we are, frankly, least confident" because there were few sampling points in Scotland.

Admiral Yi

How did all y'all vote?  :ph34r:

viper37

Quote from: HVC on December 12, 2019, 05:21:25 PM
Guess the French were right all along.  British people suck.
My proud monarchist heart bleeds to hear such things!  :cry:
Rule Britannia! Rule the waves!
Britons never be slaves (to Europe)!

(sorry for trolling, this whole ordeal just seem so silly)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 12, 2019, 07:25:03 PM
An interesting tid bit about the accuracy of the exit polling from the Guardian

QuoteProf Sir John Curtice, the psephologist who leads the team that produced the exit poll, told the BBC that the poll predicted that Blyth Valley would turn Conservative. He said:

The exit poll forecast that the Conservatives would narrowly win Blyth Valley with a 15-point drop in the Labour vote, and we had a 15-point drop in the Labour vote and the Tories narrowly won Blyth Valley.

He added that the 18-point drop for Labour in Sunderland South was "also anticipated". He went on:

Do not be surprised, particularly when we get further south and we get to much more pro-remain constituencies, that we do not see spectacular advances by the Conservatives.

But in the north of England, in leave areas, in working-class seats, the Labour party does seem to be in serious trouble.

Curtice said he thought the the broad picture provided by the exit poll "may be right", but he said the figures for Scotland were "the bit about this poll about which we are, frankly, least confident" because there were few sampling points in Scotland.

Talk about turkeys voting for Xmas.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2019, 07:27:53 PM
How did all y'all vote?  :ph34r:

Of the five or so regular British posters in this thread I don't think there's much difficulty in guessing based on our posts.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on December 12, 2019, 07:29:45 PM
Of the five or so regular British posters in this thread I don't think there's much difficulty in guessing based on our posts.
:lol:
Age - Tory
RH - Lib Dem
Tyr - Labour
Mongers - Green(?) (Part of my hopes that away from the internet Mongers is a rabid Wessex regionalist :lol:)
Me - :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!