Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Louise Ellman was leader of Lancashire county council 1981-1997. I recall a competent and pragmatic council during those years. The tories are currently in charge and there has been a certain amount of scandal :

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16597297.lancashire-county-council-fraud-investigation-four-more-involved/

chipwich

How much does the ROI actually want political unification with Northern Ireland nowadays? Isn't NI a conservative enclave with abortion and gay marriage being illegal? And being the disreputable part of the Island in general?

garbon

So one thing I don't get right now is why are all the papers (including the Guardian), suddenly breathlessly repeating how Boris might clinch a deal. None of them seem to suggest he actually has the votes in parliament.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2019, 12:20:40 AM
So one thing I don't get right now is why are all the papers (including the Guardian), suddenly breathlessly repeating how Boris might clinch a deal. None of them seem to suggest he actually has the votes in parliament.

My guess is that they are hoping that the Commons will require a confirmatory referendum against revocation. That way we get a chance to remain or at worst avoid no-deal; plus the whole saga moves from the limelight into endless tedious technical negotiations with the EU that can safely be ignored by the general public.

garbon

Well DUP has now said no.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Time for Boris to find himself a ditch.

Tamas

There's nothing controversial about the LibDem revoke plan. They would do that if they won an outright majority on a national election, and they have declared this very publicly and clearly. Anyone who doesn't want a revoke should not vote for them. So if they do win a majority on their own, that's a pretty clear democratic mandate to end this madness. Especially since its the LibDems.

Tamas

Also this is the exact repeat of the week or so before May's deal. Only difference going to be is that Johnson will have accepted all EU demands.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2019, 04:05:47 AM
There's nothing controversial about the LibDem revoke plan. They would do that if they won an outright majority on a national election, and they have declared this very publicly and clearly. Anyone who doesn't want a revoke should not vote for them. So if they do win a majority on their own, that's a pretty clear democratic mandate to end this madness. Especially since its the LibDems.

Issue is that in FPTP you can win a majority with what, 30-something%?

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on October 17, 2019, 04:08:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 17, 2019, 04:05:47 AM

Issue is that in FPTP you can win a majority with what, 30-something%?

So how is that different from all the governments before? If it's all ok for decades to give people pretty much absolute power based on such a system, what's different with this now?

Liep

Brexit is done.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50079385

QuoteA Brexit deal has been agreed between UK and EU negotiating teams before a meeting of European leaders in Brussels.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted: "We've got a great new deal that takes back control."

The two sides have been working on the legal text of a deal, but it will still need the approval of both the UK and European parliaments.

The DUP has cast doubt on its sign off, saying they still cannot support it.

The Northern Irish party earlier released a statement saying they could not back proposals "as things stand", and - after the PM's announcement - said their statement "still stands".

So, what are the odds that this will die in parliament? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

I believe Labour are saying they will support it if it is subject to a confirmatory referendum.

Tamas

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2019, 04:52:07 AM
I believe Labour are saying they will support it if it is subject to a confirmatory referendum.

That would be neat.