Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2018, 01:22:32 PM
One good thing about this: it taught me the new word "omnishambles".

Apparently it was not invented by Shakespeare.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on November 14, 2018, 05:22:56 PM
Minsky this cannot be lawyered. If somebody voted Leave, they didn't do so because they thought everything should remain the same except the UK should not have any more say in the rules they will have to live by. This can be declared with absolute certainty.

In my understanding, this agreement says "the UK will be like Norway until some other solution is agreed upon".

I don't have a window into men's souls.  if someone voted leave about the only thing that can safely be said is they want to leave the EU.  This agreement does that.  EEA or some variant does that.  If the Leave campaign wanted to rule that solution out, they should have worded their question accordingly.

it's pointless speculating about what Brexit voters "really wanted" because:
(a) what some Brexit voters wanted (low tax island Singapore) contradicts what others wanted (McMillan era statist Britain), and
(b) what most Brexit voters seemed to have wanted is squared circles, unicorns, and butterflies shooting out of Boris' ass - i.e. all the good things about Europe without any of the obligations, including the obligation of being in it.

Brexit was never a policy, it was a slogan. the closer the deadline gets, the more Parliament keeps bashing its head into the fact that people  who voted for the slogan have desires and expectations that are not realizable in policy form.

Plan B is unavoidable. At least May finally got the chutzpah to grab the nettle.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on November 15, 2018, 01:51:35 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 15, 2018, 01:22:32 PM
One good thing about this: it taught me the new word "omnishambles".

Apparently it was not invented by Shakespeare.

I'm sure he would have invented a special swear word just for Brexit.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Tamas

I guess one thing can be said now is that May is no Leaver. I think the deal is fairly good damage control while on paper delivering on the most important things people wanted, like the future option of keeping East Europeans out.

Of course it kind of hinges on the EU acting in good faith in the future because it does gently places Britain's balls in the EU's palm, but i think that's the best that can be achieved unless you want no-deal, or want to stay. And we know the UK just CANNOT take more East Europeans so staying is out of question. Plus you don't want to risk the blue passport, either. Something got to give.

Tamas

QuoteSky sources: All government whips have been told to cancel any engagements today and return to London as a source close to the whip's office says a no confidence vote in the Prime Minister is now "likely"

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on November 16, 2018, 04:30:44 AMOf course it kind of hinges on the EU acting in good faith in the future because it does gently places Britain's balls in the EU's palm, but i think that's the best that can be achieved unless you want no-deal, or want to stay.
The UK is just as sovereign with May's deal as it is in a no deal scenario because going from the Withdrawal Agreement to no deal is within its sovereign power...

Liep

Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2018, 11:50:36 AM
QuoteNew @skydata poll:
Of the three Brexit outcomes Theresa May says are available, would you prefer a) her deal, b) no deal or c) no Brexit?
No Brexit 54%
No deal 32%
Her deal 14%

Has anyone asked that question without the "Her deal" option?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

A Brexiter Tory who wants to see May go:

QuoteI want the government to pursue a proper free trade agreement which does deliver the Brexit objectives but which keeps us as close to Europe as possible.

Now, see, the current agreement can deliver that. It's only that it keeps things from falling into utter chaos while that's being figured out. So what is he proposing as an alternativ then?

mongers

Well the knives really are out now:

Brexit: Michael Gove 'absolutely' confident in Theresa

May16 November 2018

Michael Gove says he "absolutely" has confidence in Theresa May as she pursues her Brexit deal.

Rumours had been rife that the environment secretary would follow fellow Brexiteers out of the cabinet in protest at the EU withdrawal agreement.

But he told reporters on Friday that he was focused on working in cabinet to get "the right deal in the future".

Mr Gove reportedly rejected an offer to make him Brexit secretary after Dominic Raab's exit.

The PM has said her Brexit agreement is "truly the best deal for Britain".

The BBC understands Mr Gove said he would only accept the job of Brexit Secretary if he could try to make changes to the negotiated deal - something Mrs May and EU leaders have made clear is not possible.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

One of the few sane voices yesterday:

@Channel4News    

"Corbynistas are a waste of time, they're hardline Brexiteers. Jacob Rees-Mogg's followers are a waste of time, they're hardline nationalists." Former Conservative Chancellor MP Ken Clarke says "on both sides people have to be pragmatic" over Theresa May's Brexit deal.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

He was always one of the better ones.

So leaving out the Corbynistas and the Moggites we have about 500 MPs; who are somehow powerless  :hmm:

Josquius

Never heard corbynista used to refer to MPs before. Usually means the young very anti brexit Corbyn fanboys
██████
██████
██████