Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Very odd today
Usually any mention of brexit sends the pound tumbling but today somehow it rose a fair bit after her speech.
Not as bad a speech as was feared?
It being better to have certainty than uncertainty even if it is certainly doomed?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Honestly I don't think the speech revealed anything that wasn't already known or assumed. At least to me.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on January 17, 2017, 10:13:32 AM
Very odd today
Usually any mention of brexit sends the pound tumbling but today somehow it rose a fair bit after her speech.
Not as bad a speech as was feared?
It being better to have certainty than uncertainty even if it is certainly doomed?

I am assuming everyone is relieved to some degree that there are at least basic sketches of what might one day become a plan.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2017, 10:15:40 AM
Honestly I don't think the speech revealed anything that wasn't already known or assumed. At least to me.

Up until now, officially, all we knew that they wanted all the advantages of EU membership without a single bit of disadvantage.

This speech acknowledged they are aware that isn't really possible.

grumbler

I think that this is the first bit of real leadership by may that has made it across the pond.  Yeah, the news isn't good news, but at least it ends the biggest uncertainty.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 17, 2017, 12:29:05 PM
I think that this is the first bit of real leadership by may that has made it across the pond.  Yeah, the news isn't good news, but at least it ends the biggest uncertainty.

First bit of leadership that she has displayed in the U.K. media too. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Larch on January 17, 2017, 05:29:10 AM

Sounds like a good time to visit the UK for tourists.  :lol:

Almost as cheap as a weekend road trip. Plus, now you can fly Los Angeles to Bristol for $70. Norwegian Air getting ready to do the same thing. Transantlanticize Ryanair's model.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Does someone understand the part about leaving the customs union but having a customs union with the EU...?

Zanza

If she actually means the "no deal is better than a bad deal", we can all save a lot of time and effort and don't negotiate at all. It will be a bad deal as the good deal is what Britain has just decided to exit from.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on January 17, 2017, 01:49:23 PM
If she actually means the "no deal is better than a bad deal", we can all save a lot of time and effort and don't negotiate at all. It will be a bad deal as the good deal is what Britain has just decided to exit from.

Don't be dense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Archy

Quote from: Zanza on January 17, 2017, 01:37:56 PM
Does someone understand the part about leaving the customs union but having a customs union with the EU...?
I think a deal like Turkey has.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2017, 09:33:26 PM

Don't be dense.
He's right.
Britain had an excellent deal with the EU. Massive special  treatment.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Get it right, this is how your comment should read :

#Tyr Britain had an excellent deal with the EU. Massive special  treatment. FACT!!!

:D

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 18, 2017, 03:07:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2017, 09:33:26 PM

Don't be dense.
He's right.
Britain had an excellent deal with the EU. Massive special  treatment.

I won't tell you not to be dense as that would be futile. ;)