Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2019, 09:18:33 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 08, 2019, 10:54:02 PM
I don't want to participate in Alfred's straw man exercise,

My premise was that Brexit is not a debacle....

Since you are considering that a straw man, does that mean you don't think it is a debacle?

The strawman was the claim that we all predicted that the economy was going to collapse just prior to Brexit so therefore it not collapsing proves something. Or that Brexit might even be a debacle, it completely depends on what form Brexit takes...which we still do not even know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Guardian's current rumour is that the UK will be offered an extension until the end of the year.

Which would mean that Theresa May would have the next meaningful vote on her unchanged deal on the 22nd of December, and nothing of substance would happen until then if it was up to her.

So I guess the question will be if she can be ousted by Boris Johnson so he could pretend to negotiate with the EU for a few weeks before opting for no-deal and trying to use the immiediate chaos to undermine any democratic measures/institutions that could oust him from the PM's seat.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2019, 09:23:35 AM
The strawman was the claim that we all predicted that the economy was going to collapse just prior to Brexit so therefore it not collapsing proves something. Or that Brexit might even be a debacle, it completely depends on what form Brexit takes...which we still do not even know.

I was challenging the premise that Brexit is a debacle. I focused on evaluating whether it was an economic debacle, because I don't see how anyone would consider it a debacle at this point from another angle (it may be for the respect of the political class of the UK, but that is a separate issue).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Could you either do your Grumbler act elsewhere, or create a DGrumbler sock so it'd be more entertaining? :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 09, 2019, 09:53:43 AM
Could you either do your Grumbler act elsewhere, or create a DGrumbler sock so it'd be more entertaining? :P

The Moaning Magyar tries to throw shade?  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Rees-Mogg's party-within-the-party, the ERG, has started declaring that British MEPs will "wreak havoc" in the EU if they are "forced" by the EU to stay on a long extension.

It is quite remarkable how the Tea Party's British equivalent is led by super-rich derange aristocrats. The rank and file are the same sort of common people in both movements, I am sure.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on April 09, 2019, 11:11:24 AM
Rees-Mogg's party-within-the-party, the ERG, has started declaring that British MEPs will "wreak havoc" in the EU if they are "forced" by the EU to stay on a long extension.

It is quite remarkable how the Tea Party's British equivalent is led by super-rich derange aristocrats. The rank and file are the same sort of common people in both movements, I am sure.

I read somewhere that it is an odd turn for Mogg given hist Brexit stance was predicated on how little influence Britain had in ability to make changes inside EU.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Does the ERG control all the MEPs or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2019, 11:19:18 AM

I read somewhere that it is an odd turn for Mogg given hist Brexit stance was predicated on how little influence Britain had in ability to make changes inside EU.

Well I guess he is correct in the sense that Britain does have little influence to make changes all by itself. But it can block any changes for the same reason.

Though how the MEPs are supposed to do that I have no idea :hmm:

Razgovory

Why would you openly declare you will act in bad faith?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2019, 12:55:28 PM

Why would you openly declare you will act in bad faith?

To scare them from granting an extension.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I think Donald Tusk is acting admirable, he's a true friend of the British people.

He should be given an honorary knighthood when this calamity is over.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on April 09, 2019, 03:54:25 PM
He should be given an honorary knighthood when this calamity is over.  :bowler:

But is it really a calamity?  :P

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2019, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2019, 09:23:35 AM

I was challenging the premise that Brexit is a debacle. I focused on evaluating whether it was an economic debacle, because I don't see how anyone would consider it a debacle at this point from another angle (it may be for the respect of the political class of the UK, but that is a separate issue).

Brexit. Has. Not. Happened. Yet.

Why is that so hard to understand.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on April 09, 2019, 08:04:43 PM
Brexit. Has. Not. Happened. Yet.

Why is that so hard to understand.

It's not.

Why is it so hard to understand that people plan for the future?  Do you think that company CEOs are sitting in their offices wondering "golly, will Brexit actually happen?"  And then when it does, that they'll say "gosh, didn't see that coming, better do something about it?"