Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Minsky Moment

Right an EEA/EFTA arrangement was always available to the UK but the eurosceptics would never accept that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Brexit means fuckup.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on March 22, 2019, 08:31:25 AM
I am all for remaining.  But sometimes I do wonder.  Switzerland and Norway didn't join the EU, and they seem to be doing perfectly fine.  Is life outside EU really that disastrous?  What is the counter-argument to that?

You probably need different countries to use as examples as those countries are pretty much in the EU in every practical sense. Just not politically...sort of like your relationship with a citizen of Hong Kong who votes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on March 22, 2019, 09:26:10 AM
So the EU agrees to extend the deadline to 12 April.  Does the Commons need to approve that too?  What if they reject it?  :ph34r:
No deal and the EU can easily say that they tried everything to prevent it.

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2019, 07:02:10 AM
Some have made the point that main goal with last night's EU decision seems to be making sure blame for no deal can't be pushed on the EU. For which I can hardly blame them.

That's exactly what happened. The 27 consider Britain lost by this point. It's damage control time.

chipwich

Do we have any indication what the EU/ROI plan is for fortifying the Irish border?

The Brain

Quote from: chipwich on March 22, 2019, 11:58:45 PM
Do we have any indication what the EU/ROI plan is for fortifying the Irish border?

Steel slats.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I really, really want to return to the normal timeline now. This is getting too absurd.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/22/uri-geller-promises-to-stop-brexit-using-telepathy

QuoteUri Geller promises to stop Brexit using telepathy

Illuionsist Uri Geller has told Theresa May he will "not allow" her to lead Britain out of the EU.

In an open letter to the prime minister, the Israeli-British TV personality said he felt "psychically and very strongly" that most Britons were anti-Brexit and promised to stop the process telepathically. He wrote: "I feel psychically and very strongly that most British people do not want Brexit. I love you very much but I will not allow you to lead Britain into Brexit. As much as I admire you, I will stop you telepathically from doing this – and believe me I am capable of executing it. Before I take this drastic course of action, I appeal to you to stop the process immediately while you still have a chance."

Geller, who is currently in Israel, used to live in Sonning, which lies in May's Maidenhead constituency. In his letter, he said he had known the prime minister for 21 years and that she had visited his home.

He added: "Three years before you became prime minister, I predicted your victory when I showed you Winston Churchill's spoon on my Cadillac, which I asked you to touch."

He also claimed he is using the power of his mind to ensure that "Jeremy Corbyn never gets the keys to Number 10 Downing Street".

"I will ensure that they bend out of all proportion to ensure that he never takes up residence there," he wrote.

Geller rose to prominence in the 1970s with an act based around his apparent psychic powers and telepathy skills, which were even tested by the CIA.

He is perhaps best known for his trademark spoon-bending trick.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Pulling out all the stops.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Estimate is that at least a million have taken to the streets today. I'm so glad I've hidden at home. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Stay safe. Do you think it will turn nasty?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

My guess would be no? At least if crowd still has same attitude of earlier Brexit protests.

Josquius

Surprised there were no incidents from pro brexit people though.

I tried to go but the busses from Newcastle were packed, left it too late and couldn't get it a ticket :(
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Parliament Square