Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on October 15, 2018, 12:46:06 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 15, 2018, 12:44:24 PM
Presumably they would attempt to form a new government, ask the EU for an extension or revoke article 50, and return to the negotiating table.

Yeah. I was about to say. Parliament is sovereign.

No deal is what happens automatically if the UK and EU don't agree on a deal. Parliament cannot unilaterally find a deal, so it's not in their power to block no deal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on June 24, 2016, 12:59:52 AM
Now that we know what the British don't want, it will be interesting to see how the British government plans to find out what they want instead.

Any moment now ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 15, 2018, 12:57:50 PM
Presumably they would attempt to form a new government, ask the EU for an extension or revoke article 50, and return to the negotiating table.

No deal is what happens automatically if the UK and EU don't agree on a deal. Parliament cannot unilaterally find a deal, so it's not in their power to block no deal.

Well yes but with every scenario spun around in endless debates in the UK, they -wilfully or otherwise- ignore the fact that here the UK negotiates with the EU, not the different British political factions with each other.

They do give the impression like they are entirely engrossed in their own little world of British intrigue, and are genuinely incapable of grasping the big picture. I think most of them actually enjoys this chaos.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on October 15, 2018, 01:34:59 PM

Well yes but with every scenario spun around in endless debates in the UK, they -wilfully or otherwise- ignore the fact that here the UK negotiates with the EU, not the different British political factions with each other.

They do give the impression like they are entirely engrossed in their own little world of British intrigue, and are genuinely incapable of grasping the big picture. I think most of them actually enjoys this chaos.

Yes dispiriting isn't it.

Johnson and the brexit opportunists - looking to use the crisis to become PM and furthering their own careers.

Corbyn and the 'new' old labour party - chance to bring down the government, fight a GE and win power. Then they'll decide their position on brexit.

Tory extreme right - looking to bring in full blown trumpism to the UK and throw in our lot with Trump, whilst painting the EU as future 'enemy'

SNP - seeing this as an excuse for a 2nd Indy referendum and chance to break up the UK.

DUP - milking the opportunity for all it's worth, whilst furling themselves in the union jack.

Welsh nationalist -  too small to matter, though perhaps if it really goes tits up they'll march on Cardiff bay demanding independence?

The Lib Dems? - again probably too small to count now, but their opposition to Brexit has been clear from the start. Though perhaps it hasn't been entirely a matter of high principle, but just looks that way given the surprisingly low return of voters to their cause. 

I should add there have been a notable number of Tory MPs who've stood their ground against the enveloping madness, but are now being viciously targeted by extreme brexiters and the odious Aaron Banks et al.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

I can carry both tea, and no tea, at the same time.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2018, 01:51:42 PM
The Lib Dems? - again probably too small to count now, but their opposition to Brexit has been clear from the start. Though perhaps it hasn't been entirely a matter of high principle, but just looks that way given the surprisingly low return of voters to their cause. 

I don't get that, why aren't they riding high in the polls as the only party to back Remain?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on October 15, 2018, 11:14:58 AM
FWIW our foreign minister has said we're close to a deal on Gibraltar, although that's not the biggest rock on the way to an overall deal.

:bash:

celedhring

The Spanish minister used the very same pun  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on October 15, 2018, 03:35:26 PM
The Spanish minister used the very same pun  :lol:

This is no matter to monkey around with.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on October 15, 2018, 02:34:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2018, 01:51:42 PM

I don't get that, why aren't they riding high in the polls as the only party to back Remain?

I looked it up for your, rather than just replying on my straw in the wind poll, lastest I could find is this:

Headline voting intentions are CON 41%, LAB 37%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 6%.
Fieldwork was Thursday and Friday and the full tables are here.

The four point lead echoes the YouGov poll that came out on Thursday, which had toplines of CON 41%, LAB 37%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 4% (tabs.

Full article here, with opinion poll about Brexit outcomes/options:
http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2018, 05:00:00 PM

QuoteThe poll also asked what should happen next if there is no deal, or Parliament does not approve a deal. In the event of no deal at all, 14% think there should be a general election, 23% a new referendum, 13% an extension in order to continue negotiations, and 32% that Britain should just leave without a deal. In the event that a deal is struck, but Parliament rejects it, 12% think there should be a general election, 10% a deal vs no deal referendum, 20% a deal vs remain referendum, 14% that the government should return to negotiations, 25% that Britain should just leave without a deal.

I guess nobody needs to take the blame for a no-deal Brexit, the public wills it.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on October 15, 2018, 05:11:07 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2018, 05:00:00 PM

QuoteThe poll also asked what should happen next if there is no deal, or Parliament does not approve a deal. In the event of no deal at all, 14% think there should be a general election, 23% a new referendum, 13% an extension in order to continue negotiations, and 32% that Britain should just leave without a deal. In the event that a deal is struck, but Parliament rejects it, 12% think there should be a general election, 10% a deal vs no deal referendum, 20% a deal vs remain referendum, 14% that the government should return to negotiations, 25% that Britain should just leave without a deal.

I guess nobody needs to take the blame for a no-deal Brexit, the public wills it.

Sadly true, though it's still a vociferous minority, only 1/3 of voters.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2018, 01:09:28 PM
Now that we know what the British don't want, it will be interesting to see how the British government plans to find out what they want instead.

Any moment now ...
A lot of the post referendum predictions have come true...

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2018, 01:09:28 PM

Any moment now ...

That's fairly easy. They want to maintain the status quo while also totally eliminating it.

Tamas

QuoteThis is what the prime minister's spokesman said about the cabinet meeting.

[May] said we have made progress on a huge number of issues in the negotiations but there remain sticking points in two key areas. The PM said it is not possible for her or any UK prime minister to sign up to an agreement that would lead to a customs border down the Irish Sea. She said we also need to ensure that we do not have a situation where the UK can be kept indefinitely in the backstop against our will ...

The cabinet strongly supported the prime minister over the importance of maintaining the integrity of the union. The cabinet also agreed that we must be able to ensure that we cannot be kept in the backstop arrangement indefinitely.

The PM said there will no doubt be challenging moments ahead. That is in the nature of negotiations. She said she is committed to securing a Brexit that delivers on the referendum result, safeguards jobs and security and which preserves our union.

Ok so the cabinet agreed to stubbornly push for something that is not acceptable for the EU, and goes against the preliminary agreement signed in December.

Great progress! Jolly good! Now we can get on with it!